Help with MC68HC908AZ60 2J74Y chip please

Hi, First of all let me apologise for my ignorance of electronics, but hopefully some kind sole out there may take pity on me and be able to help me with my problem.

The problem I have is with the instrument cluster on my car which has recently developed a fault. After a lot of Internet trawling I have discovered that the fault is caused by the MC68HC908AZ60 2J74Y chip, this chip is responsible for driving all of the gauges, dials and lamps etc. The fault takes the form of the gauges & warning lamps pulsing & flashing when the ignition is turned on. This fault condition can last anywhere between 20 seconds & a few minutes before the instruments return to normal operation. My research has turned up the fact that the fault is temperature related & when it's cold the fault persists for longer than it does when it is warmer.

Is it possible to read this chip if it were removed from the instrument cluster? I have read that the chip is code protected but then I have read of them being read so I'm a bit confused?

If it can be read can I buy a new chip & programme the dump of the defective chip onto the new chip?

What would sort of programmer would I need to do this?

Thank you & here's hoping for some advice with this problem.

Regards.

Reply to
tel1e