Help with a chip

Hi Guys, I have a problem and I hope that somebody might be able to help. I have a bios chip I need to be copied because I can no longer get the bios. Its out of a MIPS computer. Once the chip is copied i want it to be placed on another identical board. The markings on the chip are Samsung 404 K9F5608U0B YIB0

I found a page with a detailed description here:

A picture of the chip is here:

My questions are, can this be done? (the chip copied?) are they a write one chip or can they be written multiple times? (I ask because if the one from the new board cant be overwritten I may need to buy some blank ones) What sort of money would I be looking at to have the chip copied? or is this something I can do myself with a programmer I can buy?

Cheers guys!

Reply to
machinesmith

You might check the web for a program called UniFlash. It works with a lot of different Bios chips. You could do a hot-swap to copy your existing Bios into another chip. You actually start the computer with the Bios chip in the socket (after you made a copy of it to the diskette) and then swap the chip after the machine is going and copy the bios from the diskette to the chip with UniFlash. Hope this helps... John

mach> Hi Guys,

Reply to
jdgill

Hi John, wow, never thought you could do that :) but the boot chip in this wont fit into a traditional board as far as I know. i think it will actually be quite hard, not so much copying the chip I know this can be done (though not quite sure how atm) but the next problem will be getting them removed and replaced on the boards, theres not a lot of room between the pins!!

Cheers!

Reply to
machinesmith

Hot swap works if the chip is socketed, but this appears to be a TSOP package..

I'd advise you to avoid removing the chip from the board unless you are very good at soldering components with a fine lead pitch.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Yep TSOP. Theres programmers available for the chip, but removing it from the board is going to be a drama in itself... I'd probably hunt around for a repairer or someone who can do this kind of intricate work

Reply to
machinesmith