heater controller dead?

Have a broken heater:

The symtom is when turned on, the LCD displays some random junk for a second and then go dim. Pressing any button also triggers displaying some random junk.

The mechanical portion of the heater works fine. I can "hot wire" the heater to work bypassing the controller board, but I lose the remote control feature and temperature regulation this way.

There are many easily replaceble components (transistors, resistors, capacitors, ..) on the controller board. There is also a chip (probably a custom controller) and an LCD display. If the chip is fried, there is probably no way to get a replacement. Is there any way to determine whether the problem is the chip, or any one of the discreet components on the board?

BTW, is there any software to help create a schematic diagram from photos of the circuit board?

Reply to
peter

I would check electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, the first thing to do is to make sure the voltages it needs are all present and clean.

Reply to
James Sweet