HDTV test gear -- yay or nay?

Just a quick survey -- pardon me if this was recently discussed; I didn't find it via Google or the last 4000+ server msgs...

With the mandated cut-off date for NTSC broadcasting in the USA quickly approaching, and the high cost of HDTV-specific (or combo NTSC/HDTV) gear, I'm curious as to which TV shop owners and/or techs among you:

1) has purchased HDTV test gear ($$ amount invested?)

2) plans to purchase HDTV test gear ($$ amount to be invested?)

3) will not purchase HDTV test gear and simply swap boards and cross your fingers

4) plans to call it quits because the repair biz is becoming a progressively worse biz to be in, and purchasing additional HDTV test gear wouldn't be a worthwhile or justifiable expenditure for you (if this option, how close were you to retirement anyway?)

Thanks, Ray

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Because of the complications involved in servicing the newer consumer TV equipment, I would only invest in the basic test gear required to work at the service level that can be handled in an independent shop. I would be working on making service agreements with the manufacture's direct reps to subcontract out the work.

The only other way I would invest in to the advanced test gear is I was prepared to do the investments in all of the proper tools, and make sure that I would have agreements for the purchasing for spare parts, and service manuals.

Considering how the costs of home electronics is going down, and that warranties are for long periods of time on many of the new generation models, I would not be considering expanding a service business, unless I was to get in to it all the way, and have some direct agreements.

--

JANA _____

Just a quick survey -- pardon me if this was recently discussed; I didn't find it via Google or the last 4000+ server msgs...

With the mandated cut-off date for NTSC broadcasting in the USA quickly approaching, and the high cost of HDTV-specific (or combo NTSC/HDTV) gear, I'm curious as to which TV shop owners and/or techs among you:

1) has purchased HDTV test gear ($$ amount invested?)

2) plans to purchase HDTV test gear ($$ amount to be invested?)

3) will not purchase HDTV test gear and simply swap boards and cross your fingers

4) plans to call it quits because the repair biz is becoming a progressively worse biz to be in, and purchasing additional HDTV test gear wouldn't be a worthwhile or justifiable expenditure for you (if this option, how close were you to retirement anyway?)

Thanks, Ray

Reply to
JANA

progressively

What test gear is needed other than a source of an HDTV signal? I'd just use a PC or a cheap DVD player, most other repairs should be doable with the same DMM and scope used for standard TV.

Reply to
James Sweet

That would work as far as pix generators go. But an NTSC VHF/UHF generator won't be much use with an ATSC 8VSB digital tuner. Of course, I suppose one could just source broadcasts for tuner troubleshooting and adjustment (if any)...

Reply to
Ray L. Volts