Grundig VS-960

Hi folks,

got my hands on a Grundig VS-960 VCR (allegedly a big deal in its day). Well, plugging it in does nothing. Absolutely *nothing*. Not even a clock display. Punching what I assume to be the power button (3rd from top next to the display) does nothing either. There appear to be some voltages in the secondary PSU, but w/o service manual or any hints I'm pretty lost in there. Anyone here know something about this model?

Thanks in advance!

--GanjaTron

Reply to
GanjaTron

day).

from

I'm

start by changing all the electrolytics in the power supply.

Will do, I guess that's always a good starting point w/o schematics. Any way of checking them one by one instead of replacing ALL? Which ones should I check/replace first (primary/secondary, high/low capacitance)?

Btw, I came across this posting in dutch:

It mentions the TDA8137 regulator, which I checked. It's got the 5V outputs w/o load, but when I attach the connectors on the secondary, it drops to < 0.1V! In that posting, the guy replaced a 1mF cap in the primary, so maybe it is a cap problem.

--GanjaTron

Reply to
GanjaTron

ad/8b743e6e03e58ca

it

unless you have an esr meter, just replace the caps to be on the safe side. be sure to use 105=BA rated substitutes. good luck, Ben

Fixed! Replaced the 47uF/25V/85deg cap in the primary with a

100uF/25V/105deg. Works like a charm, only there's something squeaking in the drive when lacing the tape... :^)

--GanjaTron

Reply to
GanjaTron

You did check for mice, didn't you?

Mike Brown: mjb[at]pootle.demon.co.uk | http://www.pootle.demon.co.uk/
Reply to
Mike

Naaah, squeaky brake pad on the capstan motor. Bugger if I know what the hell it's for. Guess I'll just chuck it out, seems useless anyway. Made a separate post about that.

Reply to
GanjaTron