Generac 7500

I removed the brushes and seated them properly, it seems they were already seated OK. Changed the wires to the brushes opposite to how they were hooked up, got 0 voltage. Reversed them and I get 65vac @ the 120 outlets and 120vac @ the 240 outlet. There's nobody local, but I'm gonna try the closest to me, about 50 miles away that supposedly works on generators. Otherwise this unit will be on sale on E-bay as is to the highest bidder.

Reply to
ellombris

Hi...

The thread's been long enough and old enough that I've forgotten most of what's gone before, but you have tried running it with a real load, haven't you? Possible that the controller is smart enough to realize that there's no current being drawn, so why waste fuel, just provide enough so that it can sense current draw and step it up when there is a worthwhile load? Dunno, just thinking. Try a couple of

100 watt bulbs, or a portable electric heater or something just for the heck of it.

And you'll probably punch me in the nose for it, but you don't happen to have a "range doubler" meter, do you? :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Ellombris-

It can be frustrating. If the System Control Board (where voltage is adjusted) happens to be bad, they cost around $200 to replace. Unless you had one to try, you can't be sure the old one is bad!

You might measure the DC voltage across the brushes when it is putting out 65 VAC, to get an idea how it is performing. You might also reconnect the brushes to an external DC power supply, and see what voltage it takes to get the proper output.

Of course this information would only be of value if you knew what to compare it with, but you could verify that the alternator is capable of putting out full voltage.

Applying a load and measuring voltage change would give you an idea of regulation. If it falls from half value to zero, the problem is worse than if it only drops ten percent!

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie