GE TV model 32GT720, Ch. CTC203CY loss of audio

The customer said that while changing channels she lost the sound. The set was brought in here and after being unplugged for almost a week we powered it up, autoprogrammed it and the sound seems fine. I do not have cable so it is set for off air channels, not that I would think that would make any difference. Its been running for a few hours now and I have tried changing channels a few times and it has not quit, yet..... I have had some of these CTC203 series sets come in here before with odd complaints and just like this one after having been unplugged for awhile we plug them in, do the autoprogram and have had many go back out again after never being able to confirm the customers complaint. Does anyone have any theories as to what may be going on with these sets, particularly this one? All these lucky Thomson owners couldn't be crazy, could they? Thanks for any advice. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

I've seen at least two RCAs with a no sound complaint that I could never find a problem with. I think it's a software problem that's reset by unplugging the set. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

I just found this article on another NG. I thought you might find it interesting. Lenny.

captainvideo462002

Thanks for the link!

Quoting that page (and correcting a few instances of 'XDS'):

"It's been identified to a non-standard signal originating in particular "XDS box" in the transmission chain (XDS means "extra digital services" and includes closed captioning, auto clock, program guides, VIR color levels, etc, all broadcast in the vertical interval).... the signal originating in this XDS box made by the "XYZ" company (name deleted) has 2 extra bits...It causes a buffer overload in the micro and mutes the sound....this XDS box does not truncate the data stream and the extra bits get broadcast."

Is this the first recorded case of a television set malfunctioning due to a buffer overrun attack? Anybody sent this to RISKS?

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I still don't know if it's first, but I sent it in to RISKS. Thanks again for the info and link.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

i know this is not an answer to your question, but i am currently experiencing a similar problem with my 35' set. i've owned it now for 6 years without any problem. last night (1/2/06) i turned the channel and had static noise instead of sound. i found this on 99% of the channels. only 3 and 6 (pbs stations) had sound. and it wasn't in sync with the picture. it was some sort of public radio. i checked all the other sets in the house and ruled out problem with the cable. so now i'm wondering what's wrong and if it's fixable. i'll try unplugging it for a while as someone else suggested, but if anyone else can help, i'd be thankful.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Graham

just to let people know, unplugging my tv for a little more than 1 hour has solved the problem. i guess it's an easy fix. thank for the help

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Graham

See my post about this above (or below)

Reply to
Bob Loblaw

Here's the fix!!!! Take a 1uf@50v capacitor and solder the negative leg to the shield around U13101 and the positive leg to pin 15 of U13101. thats it, no call back. this does fix the no-audio problem, but it disables the closed caption feature. i got this fix from here...

great site!

Reply to
oddjobs