GE 5 inch color tv problem

I have 7 year old 5 inch GE Color Tv set.Model #05GP008. When I turn it on in the a.m. , the picture is blurry and un-viewable. However, after approx 20 minutes the picture improves and is viewable.

Any suggestions on what I might do to return to normal operation?

best, Aaron

Reply to
aaronep

It sounds like a capacitor issue, but...that being said, the CRT is also a capacitor of sorts. That is at least a possibility, and the FBT as well could cause this problem.

My approach to this would probably be to set the alarm clock 20 minutes early. :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

"Tom MacIntyre" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Nah, I think that's a failing electrolytic that works only when hot :-) I suggest to open the little tv and flow hot air onto the board : if the TV works immediately, it's a failing capacitors. Because in a too small tv there are circa 10-15 caps I suggest to change all electrolytic in the built-in power supply and deflection circuit. Try also failing electrolytics in the color "jungle" circuitry, and try also the tunner !

Fun ! But this can damage the TV !

I.

Reply to
Inty

I had a GE 5" TV with a similar problem. I took it to a repair place who fixed it but the problem came back a week or two later, and then a 2nd attempt didn't fix it permanently either, so they gave up and refunded my money.

J.

Reply to
jay

What electrolytic capacitor affects the focus, though? I'll admit it's been awhile since I've been inside a TV, however... :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Hi...

I wonder if it's possible that the op blurry description wasn't referring to what we (using my 50 years ago terms) didn't mean a 'gassy' picture tube? In today's terminology I guess you younger fellers would say low cathode emission.

Perhaps we should ask him if he saw bleeding, and/or beamed out whites until it got well warmed ?

Hey, anyone else here remember those plug in CRT boosters? :)

And out in the shed I still have an old b&k crt tester/rejuvenator :) Still looks brand new, too :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Right...an electrolytic capacitor could definitely be the cause of that.

I do, and I "rolled my own" on numerous occasions as well. :-)

I mainly used a Sencore, forget the model, CR-70, maybe. It's about 8 or 9 years old now.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

electrolytics

I suppose it could be one that affects the HV regulation.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi Ken: The appearance of the screen when first turned on is more like a kaleidescopy without any defined image. I don't know whether to describe this as "bleeding" or "burned out whites". best, Aaron

Reply to
aaronep

Hi Aaronep...

OK. my guess was off, but just for your interest...

Bleeding would be when you see a picture of for instance someone wearing a red shirt, and the red shirt appears to be 'leaking or smearing red' to the right side of where the shirt really is...

And burned out refers to for instance a pic of someone wearing a white (or brightly colored) shirt, when it all appears to be one mass. No shades in the shadows where folds are, and so on...

Back to the electrolytics...

Take care.

Ken

Reply to