Gateway M305CRV (again)

I fixed this one (replaced inverter board) a year or two ago. Now the backlight is intermittent. On examination, D22, near the video connector on the motherboard, appears to be toast. It's, of course, an sm device with no visual clue of it's value.

The four terminals on the inverter are: Pin 1: Ground Pin 2: +3.3 volts Pin 3: The variable leg (1.8 volts backlight off, 2.8 volts on) Pin 4: +19 volts

Metering reveals that one end of D22 is connected to ground, the other to Pin 3 on the inverter (through the video flex cable). Touching D22 turns the backlight on, even though one end appears to be nearly burnt away. Shorting Pin 2 to Pin 3 has the same effect, although it cannot be dimmed in this state.

Would I be correct in assuming (actually 'suspecting') D22 is a zener diode, somehow involved in dimming the backlight? Would the 2.8 volts measured at Pin 3 be a clue as to it's value; or am I totally off base?

Any other ideas as to a suitable replacement; or should I just stick something like a 1n4148 across there as an experiment? It's hard to power the unit up disassembled, but it could be done.....

jak jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Under extreme magnification, I can make out a single character "T" on the uncharred end of the device. The only other diodes I can find on the board are marked 'T4'. That is, unless the '4' is really a triangle...can't really see the 'tail' on the digit; but the top part looks exactly like the top of the 4 in the font I'm using to compose.

Does that ring a bell with anybody?

Thanks in advance,

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Okay, answering my own posts again...it's late. Google gives me this:

which is indeed an sm 1n4148, around the correct size as nearly as I can judge, and is marked--according to the listing--'T4'.

Unless somebody has a caution, tomorrow (today), I'll bridge this one with a leaded 1n4148, and hopefully have this thing back together and finally be done with....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert