Sencore LC 101 Z meter problem.

I have a Sencore LC 101 Z meter and have the same question that was asked here a couple of years ago. I searched the groups and didn't find the answer.

While testing a capacitor in leakage mode, I'm wonering why the voltage applied to the cap, when read with a DVM is less then half the value shown on the meter. The low voltage ranges are fine.. but after you get to about 15 volts the voltage is way to low. For example it reads about 348 volts when set on the 1000 volt range.

Also, I have a newer LC77 Z meter and it works fine in all ranges. I'm wonder if sencore changed the way the meter works.

I'm asking because this question was asked before.. and wondering if the voltage on the older meters is not pure dc but perhaps an ac waveform

Thanks in advance for any information.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Decoteau

Is it possible that your voltmeter's input impedance is rather low, and is pulling down the Sencore voltage? I wouldn't be surprised if the Sencore's voltage source output impedance is rather high. It's also possible that its output impedance goes up as its output voltage goes up.

This would explain what you're seeing. Try measuring the voltage with a high impedance meter.

-

Jim Adney