Flying Saucer Toy

A customer brought this amusing little item to me on Christmas Eve. He needed it fixed that day but it just wouldn't have been possible, so he took it back to try and get a refund. I'm posting this message just to satisfy my curiousity..... The toy was a remote-controlled flying saucer. The saucer was a lightweight styrofoam rig with the electronics crammed into a small space at the top. Upon engaging the remote, a propeller would start (accompanied by blue and red LED's) and the entire unit would spin rapidly and climb to the ceiling. Altitude could be controlled by how much pressure was applied to the remote control trigger. At least that's what it did the night he got it home. He had to try it for himself before wrapping it for his grandson, and after marveling at the device he plugged in the charger and went to bed. When he tried it the next morning, the device would run but didn't have enough power to lift off the floor, even though the batteries should have been fully charged. The battery pack was a very small NIMH type consisting of five cells. It had the specs 6.3V, 150mAh printed on it. Pretty small considering the load - I hooked up a decent 6.3V gel-cell and measured about 2.2 amps power consumption! Not surprisingly, with a decent power supply attached, the unit worked fine. When the original battery was used, it's voltage would drop to about 5.7V under the load. I tried hooking the battery to a small lamp (6V,

500mA) and the voltage still dropped to 5.7 volts. The instructions say the battery takes 20 minutes to charge - at this point I suspected the battery had been overcharged and ruined, and since I couldn't possibly obtain such a specialized part on the same day, the project was aborted. My question is, how much load should such a small battery pack provide, without a significant voltage drop and assuming it is not damaged? Do you think my diagnosis was correct?
Reply to
Chris F.

Sounds like the charger may not have done it's thing. Or with that high load reading, maybe it's just defective?

took

my

Reply to
Michael Ware

Those use Li-Polymer batteries which can store an amazing amount of power and can support huge discharge currents, often 10 *amps* or more for short times from tiny cells. They make possible planes such as these

which have thrust to weight ratios of 2:1 or more. Another place you can get this stuff is here

The charger should normally only take a few minutes to fully charge and they're very sensitive to being damaged by incorrect charging so if it was left plugged into the (probably very cheap) charger overnight then the battery was probably ruined.

Reply to
James Sweet

Got one of those (fscking impulse buying ... grrr). Anyway, I only fiddled with it the afternoon that I brought it home and I did see pretty much what you described: Left it on the charger too long that evening and got almost no run time. However, after letting it "soak" off of the charger it seemed to recover most of its previous operating time.

I should fool with it more but it's not so much that it scares the cats but that it blows out all of the accumulated cat hair from the nooks where it had been quietly minding its own business ... Hair storm!

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

The instruction sheet explicitly states to NOT leave the thing on the charger, but to watch the little lights, and unplug it as soon as it's charged.

It's pretty clear that the charger doesn't have any way to detect full charge and throttle the current. Maybe he toasted the batteries.

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Wingfield

took

my

at

the

for

next

power

unit

(6V,

the

Pretty cool toy. My dogs hate mine. Did you make sure the tiny little switch on top was in the OFF position? Wont charge if its in the ON position.

Deke

Reply to
Deke

took

satisfy my

space at

by

the

for

next

the

It

power

unit

(6V,

the

battery

such a

provide,

you

Reply to
Chris F.

took

satisfy my

space at

by

the

for

next

the

It

power

unit

(6V,

the

battery

such a

provide,

you

Reply to
Chris F.

In theory, yes. However, these batteries are run so hard in this application, ie brutal charge/discharge rates, that there is no margin of error where overcharging is concerned. The easiest way to avoid overcharging is to completely discharge the battery and charge for the prescribed time.

Whatever happens, expect a very short battery lifespan!

Dave

Reply to
Dave D