Flat panel set blooming

I have a orphaned Olevia TV that has just developed an ugly new symptom.

There are blooms/blotches of ~red appearing on darker scenes. It's most obvious on older B+E rerun shows such as Route 66 & I Spy. But I have seen them on low-def color shows.

I don't see them on network 720P feeds. At least now...

Any suggestions?

David Lesher

That's not called blooming, but no big deal.

If the splotches are stationary and onbly in certain modes it is most likel y decoding errors, and that is usually on the main board. If it was in all modes I would say it might be the panel or Tcon, but it isn't.

Slight possibility of it being bad caps, but very slight.

Try looking for settings that are channel or mode specific in the menu(s). Of you find them you might find the broghtness turned too low for one mode or sometning. Sometimes LCD panels "overtwist" which can do things like thi s. That is ALOT more noticable on an edgre lit display like a laptop PC. Re gular backlit monitors are alot better about that now, unlike years before when they didn't have the viewing angle.

If it is overtwist, likely you will see a difference when you change your a ngle. I it looks significantly different from the left, right, above or bel ow, just adjusting the brightness (pedestal) might fix you up. I do not mea n in different places, I mean more or less pronounced.

Even if there is a minor fault, adjustments might make it watchable. Especi ally if it has a gamma control. I doubt it does, but if it does you can pla y with that.

Reply to
jurb6006

It *sounds* a bit like LCD delamination, but if it was, it wouldn't be spec ific to resolution settings. Generally, if the area in question has no cle ar cut boundaries or line of demarcation and looks more like a stain, it's the display. If you post a pic on line and link it, we can get a better id ea.

Reply to
John-Del