Fixyouowntv -experience SONY KV-32TS46 DEAD

I have a Sony Trinitron 32 inch tv. Model KV-32TS46

It's worked like a charm since new and last week it turned itself off twice on me while I was watching a DVD. Then during the football game on Sunday it turned off and is dead.

I did a little research and found a site, fixyourowntv and took a gamble and purchased the kit for the tv. Instructions came today, no kit yet, but the instructions show replacing two transistors and a resistor.

Anyone has experience with this?

Gene

Reply to
Happy Go Lucky

When you change those 2 transistors and resistor you best find out first what blew them. If you don't they will last approximately 2us.

kip

Reply to
kip

It's possible that they are not dead, or that whatever is in the kit are upgraded parts which will not blow...as the OEM parts were under rated....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Basically, either if TV was on when this happened, PLUG-instant POP! or press that power button-POP! No chance.

You need to check the horiztonal transistor is shorted with ohm measurement. Very common since the horizontal transformer this drives the base pin of the horizontal transistor has solder failures. Remove transformer (5 pin small grey one for that transistor's base), clean pins (scrape with razor blade), reinstall and solder both new transistor & transformer. Then fix the power supply.

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

It doesn't have to go POP! Just use a 100 watt lightbulb in series with the 120 VAC and if the lightbulb lights up bright (with no audible clicking for startup) than there is still a problem in the TV somewhere....

Good Luck.

Reply to
Do Little2

As far as I can remember there was no pop or any noise. The first time it did it I didn't even realize it had shut down. Other times it just turned it's self off without any noise. Then it ran for a day or more as normal before finally shutting down during the Viking game last sunday. Could it be those sex crazed Vikings causing this...?

I got the kit today, three transisters and a resistor, some heat sink compound, solder and solder wick. One transister, quite large, the other two not so but like a pair. I will follow the kit instructions to the letter. The instructions are in PDF but are a .gif file so I cannot post them here but they do say to resolder the transformer connections and show pictures of everything. I don't have the tv apart yet but will in the next couple days attempt this repair. I don't have but a digital voltmeter so I'm lacking equipment to do much testing nor do I know much about TV. I have a lot of soldering experience etc., from building lots of radion control electronic gear of the years so I'm not worried about that. The kit cost me $42, a gamble I guess but my options are to only spend more to get this fixed.

A service call on this unit would cost me $160 and if he had to return another $30 and then that's plus parts. If I can't fix it with this kit I will have to decide what to do next. It has been a fantastic tv for us since 1993, I cannot complain. It was an expensive TV back when I purchased it and the picture is just fantastic..

Thanks for all your input and I'll post my results.

Gene

Reply to
Happy Go Lucky

Those are the what commonly replaced in many Sony sets, two thing you need to do:

Check that large transistor (this is horizontal transistor this drives the horizontal circuit) is same part number. Secondly, on the large transistor's solder side, trace the marking horizontal transistor lead "B" (base gate) back to the 5 pin grey block, this is small transformer that drives the base gate, this need to be cleaned up and resoldered because this is what killed the horizontal transistor when the solder joints on horizontal transformer driver failed. Shorted load caused the power supply to fail. Hence this kit.

You will need a manual solder vacuum from radio shack or "The Source" so you can get solder out of the metal gromment for twin small transistors and large transistor. Wick ribbon is nice for desoldering simple through hole traces but not great on metal gromments.

"POP!" was our expresson for failing even didn't made any noise or smoke. :)

Cheers, Wizard

Reply to
Jason D.

Thanks very much, I will follow your instructions also. So much to do....

Gee, I hope this works.

Gene

Reply to
Happy Go Lucky

I installed the kit today and I am very very happy to report that the TV is working again. I notice a slight tilt to the picture, like when letter boxed or a football game score bar on the screen but I'm not sure if it was like that before. Wife says - leave it alone, it's not an issue...

I would like to thank everyone here on this forum for your input and suggestions. I tried to follow all the good advice and as you can tell, it was good advice as it's fixed.

I am jumping for joy - the repair shop called and told me my snowblower was fixed also and that it was only $40.

What can I say - I'm HAPPY !!!!

Thanks,

Gene

Reply to
Happy Go Lucky

Gee, I hope you're not serious. I presume you're saying that the set will crap out again. It ran from 1993 to present without problems and then went out. This fix is supposed to fix it along with the repair of cold solder connections. The tilt to the picture is VERY slight and may even have been there before it went out. I don't think the picture tilt is a big worry, I could have a service call maybe and have it adjusted.

Maybe....

Reply to
Happy Go Lucky