Faulty Motherboard

Maybe. Unless the CPU has a 266 FSB, you will be better off buying the

400. It's not that expensive, and you will see a big performance improvement over the 266 if you do alot of number crunching.
--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m

Why geeks like computers: look chat date touch grep make unzip
strip view finger mount fcsk more fcsk yes spray umount sleep
Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Assuming you get a motherboard which supports your existing CPU then yes. If you want a faster CPU with a faster bus speed then some motherboards will support slower memory than the bus speed but with a big performance hit. Basically, if you're re-using your old CPU then yes, your RAM should work fine.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Faster memory (and hence bus speed) gives a general performance increase, not just number crunching.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

We ordered an Asus board (P4V800D-X) with a VIA chipset - don't how good these are?

Also purchaed some 512MB PC3200 Corsair RAM. We previously had Kingston RAM but for some reason, the Corsair was cheaper?

If I use the old 266 RAM with the new one, will that drastically affect the performance?

Thanks.

--
M.Joshi
Reply to

Asus are a respected brand.

Not one bit, because your old CPU (which I assume you intend to use in the new mobo) only runs at an FSB speed of 266MHz anyway. The faster memory will simpy run at 266MHz as well.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

At about the time of 2/21/2006 2:48 PM, Dave D stated the following:

That is true, but for general computer use like word processing and web browsing, you may or may not see much difference YMMV. Where you really see the difference is CPU/Memory/Bus intensive apps like video processing, gaming, or general number crunching.

--
Daniel Rudy

Email address has been base64 encoded to reduce spam
Decode email address using b64decode or uudecode -m

Why geeks like computers: look chat date touch grep make unzip
strip view finger mount fcsk more fcsk yes spray umount sleep
Reply to
Daniel Rudy

Fair comment.

dave