Faulhaber 2225U024S16 motor

Hi, all,

I'm repairing a Photon Inc. BeamScan 1080 laser beam profiler. It works by using a motor with a drum of about a 1-1/2 inch diameter mounted coaxially on the shaft. The drum has a carefully-calibrated slit made from very thin shim stock, so that it scans the slit across the beam in the X direction and measures the 1-D profile. (You have to rotate the head to get the Y direction.)

The bearings on the motor are shot--the shaft rolls around in the bearing and buzzes instead of rotating smoothly.

It's quite a nice motor, a Faulhaber 2225U024S16. Trouble is, they don't make it anymore, and apparently haven't in quite awhile--I have their 2006-7 catalogue, and it isn't listed. They do have an apparently similar model 2224U024SR that might be a good replacement.

It's 22 mm in diameter, 24 mm long, and has a 2-mm shaft. From the part number it sounds like it runs on 24 V.

Anybody got a datasheet or other wisdom?

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What is bad? The bearings, or is there other damage?

Reply to
Michael Terrell

There's a lot I don't know about the situation, but fwiw the first thing th at springs to mind is why don't you replace the defective bearing. Industri al mech engineering shops can do that sort of thing for not much. I was quo ted 60 to do a transaxle maybe 3 years ago.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The sintered bearings are completely shot. Otherwise it appears OK. ("Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln....") The issue is mainly that I don't know the unloaded speed of the motor at rated voltage, so it's hard to know if the 2224 is a suitable replacement.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The motor is 20 mm in diameter by 24 mm long. Not quite in the transaxle class.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Does it looks like Artikel 75 or 78, 79

Oh..and perhaps you can call Faulhaber and ask for the data. They are very expensive, very good quality and very helpful. The did not have any data on there homepage because the motor is too old, but I expect they can help if you ask them.

Hm..this datasheet said the 2225 not a motor, it is a generator and it is made with differenz kind of bearing.

Sometimes you can buy a motor with a different gearbox and change it. I may be necessary to heat the engine because the use a kind of glue in the threads.

Olaf

Reply to
olaf

Can Faulhaber supply new bearings? I doubt that they were only used on one motor design.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Yup. Those are the right motor but the wrong voltage.

I did, but I haven't heard back yet.

Thanks, I ordered a couple of those last night--I found them after I posted.

This one isn't a gear motor--the drum just goes right on the shaft, with no loading except aerodynamic drag. That's the main reason I'd like the datasheet before I replace it with something else, because the free-running speeds can be pretty different and I don't know much about the speed controller.

Thanks

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

One of the motors from the eBay choppers fixed it, hurrah.

I bought four more for use as actual optical choppers for proof-of-concept instruments.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs