Control of a brushless motor.

The Dutch Forth User group has several computer controlled instruments, metallophones and an organ in the style of Dutch street organs. (And the programs that go with them.) A demonstration is :

The air is delivered by a repurposed vacuum cleaner, that is controlled by a proportional controller, a cylinder of air that goes up and down according demand.

Now I replaced a ventilator in my cv. The motor is and controller still are good and it has a variable speed running at 24 V. It is brushless and 4 coils are situated around a permanent magnet rotor. The controller contains 4 fets IRF5302 , rated at 30 V 175 A, so I'm quite sure that the board actually controls the motor.

It reads EBMPABST 0707L11-08 AT 26019 24509

I had no luck finding the specs but I hope that the some could decipher the meaning of the 5 contacts.

Can someone give a good guess what the contacts are meaning.

+UB PWM GRND NOUT

-UB

[Between GRND and -UB there is a low resistance < 1 ohm, but all other resistance are above 10K . ]

Groetjes Albert

Reply to
albert

Dag Albert,

Is that fan in your musical instrument, or your CV (Central heating)?

What is the type (axial, centrifugal, ?) and size of the fan? What is the model of the controller (sticker?) Can you post links to pictures of the fan and controller and their stickers? Did you check

for size and type equivalents?

A guess would be (assuming these are the controller inputs):

+UB + side of Supply voltage, directly from 24V supply PWM PWM control of the speed GRND Ground for the PWM and NOUT signals NOUT Pulse output to measure the speed (for the controller) -UB - side of Supply voltage, directly from 24V supply

+UB and -UB will carry the motor current: thick wires. The others are signal levels, thin wires.

PWM is likely driven by +5V...+24V pulses, the duty cycle controls the speed NOUT is likely open collector, needs a pull-up to 5V (maybe already in the controller) For measuring these an oscilloscope is needed.

Arie

Reply to
Arie de Muijnck

130 mm centrifugal

The controller and motor are one. The above applies to the unit.

A picture is

Did you check
for size and type equivalents? I consulted it, but it is overwhelming. The category pabst assigns it to, is not known by me. For what I know this motor is produced for CV's and is not present in the catalogue.

That helps greatly. I discovered that the GRND is not connected. It is called a 24 Volt fan. So we can experiment with a 24 volt supply and the PWM signal.

NOUT is apparently an output. That can be easily related to the speed of the fan. We need not even need that.

Thanks Albert

Reply to
albert