Fan causing MW RFI (2023 Update)

U need an isolated ground receptacle. Used to combat noise interference wit h audio and video, it must be supplied by a metal raceway or cable system t hat is an equipment grounding conductor. Connect it past any panelboards an d absolutely do not connect it to the panelboard grounding terminal bar, bu t to independent 3 x 6 ft. independent copper rods completely driven into t he ground.

(As per code NEC 517.16 Use of Isolated Ground Receptacles "The grounding terminal on the isolated ground receptacle must be connected by an insulated equipment grounding conductor with one or more yellow stri pes which is permitted to pass through one or more panelboards without a co nnection to the panelboard grounding terminal bar as permitted in 408.40 .. .)

Reply to
bruce bowser

why would a ceiling fan plug into a receptacle? This suggestion is just dumb.

There's no harm in trying a filter, but checking the quality of your grounding also doesn't hurt, make sure neutral and hot are not reversed etc. It still just sounds like a cheaply made motor drive.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Why play around return the thing. The next time don't put the blades on and wire it to a plug, plug it in and test.

KenW

Reply to
KenW

Also check online for problems with the model you got.

KenW

Reply to
KenW

That's the first time I've had an old post resurrected by Google Groups! :-)

My OP was over 6 years ago. FWIW the interference was stopped by using a delta suppression filter and a ferrite ring.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Ha, missed the dates on this. I wonder if that fan still works.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Yep. It's on almost continuously at low speed to keep the air moving around and prevent mould growth.

--

Jeff
Reply to

FM

Some ferrite clamp-on filters might help if you can get at the power lines close to the source...

If the junction box has enough room install a sheilded RFI filter like th is:

Select for current, voltage, etc and you will see suitable units starting around 10USD. I don't know your lines voltage or frequency so that too you have to plug in...

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

you can try and put a AC line filter as close to the device as you can , 3 wire AC feeding is better .... DC motor may need bypass caps , which might be a problem for the 6-speed driver.... The clamp on fairrite or a core should be on everything in a ham home, and all overhead AC drop lines IMO. the type 75 cores are only about $1 and go after all the noise below 1mhz ( that's is where most of it comes from ) you may be able to use the AC line filters on DC if amp rating is enough ( leave a little margin here... ) tips from a solar-powered ham radio operator. pics on my QRZ site Ko6kL

Reply to
Brad Johnson

LOL!

I posted the original query almost 9 years ago! It was fixed a few days later by using a delta suppression capacitor and ferrite ring large enough to take all the mains leads.

Reply to
Jeff Layman