Ever seen a side-loading VCR?

Hello all...

In my latest round of shopping at Curbside Discount I happened across a very interesting Zenith VCR. It's a Model VR-1380 and the way it takes a tape is rather unique. The tape is loaded "sideways". So far it looks to work apart from some moderately tired rubber.

has pictures, 640x480, 47~49Kb

Anyone ever seen another VCR that does this?

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Thats Cool! "William R. Walsh" wrote in message news:UNuqe.35928$x96.3790@attbi_s72...

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

The original design was the JVC HR-D470, rebadged for Zenith as the VR3300, and was quite a decent hifi machine. That sideways loader is still the most reliable loader mech I've ever seen in vhs.

-- Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer Talking Dog Transducer Company

5517 Carmelita Drive N.E. Albuquerque, New Mexico [87111]
Reply to
Stephen Sank

Amstrad double decker dd9904 has two of these side loading mechs. It's a real b*tch to get to the mode switch however, so that kind of put me off 'em! Ben

I own two of these - one working. The VCR is interesting but must be rather complex.

NSM

Saw one at a flea market for $8 a few months ago. Just about bought it due to novelty, but passed.

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message news:UNuqe.35928$x96.3790@attbi_s72...

Reply to
nobody

There was an odd format 3/4" that top loaded sideways, the tape came out like an EL cassete or 8 track tape, early JVC I think. Jeff

Reply to
frontline

JVC also made a VHS machine that took the tape sideways.

Reply to
none

Looks like the same one that we have at our church. Still seems to work fine after all these years.

WT

"William R. Walsh" wrote in message news:UNuqe.35928$x96.3790@attbi_s72...

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Now THAT's a miracle!! seriously though, you might want to check the rubber parts before it chews up a prized recording...

-B

It was actually made by JVC, zenith slapped their logo on many a JVC product back in the 80's. I saw the JVC equivalant at my local Goddwill a month or so ago and it ran fine as well, was a S-VHS as well.

Reply to
none