Eprom programmers what to buy..

I'm looking to get an eprom programer capable of programming eproms and eeproms and possibly pic's.. Does anybody have any advice on what to buy?

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I like the Needhams EMP-11 as a "personal programmer" although if I were buying today I'd give a hard look at the Galep-4.

Keep in mind that both of these are parallel-port programmers and that interface may become increasingly hard to find on PCs. There are USB- connected programmers available (and more will surely become so) but, today, the USB variety are a bit more expensive than the legacy parallel port devices.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Well That won't be a problem for me untill they do away with PCI.. I've got a PCI Future Domain parallel port card. ;)

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

I suggest that you take a look at the Jupitel VersaProg at

It comes with a library of approx. 14,000 files.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

I can recommend Xeltek

I've got the SuperPro 280U (USB) and am very happy with it. There are updates at least monthly, and the current device list shows 15499 different parts. Sells for about 200-250$ at ebay.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

I recommend looking at some of the Elnec programmers

Their tech support is amazing - I reported a minor issue with programming an EPROM, got a workaround in two hours, and they released an updated version of the driver software (with the bugfix) by the end of the week.

Don't dismiss their programmers just because they're cheaper than most of the competition. My Preprom-02aLV is built like a tank, and the driver software is really easy to use - if you download it, it'll run in "Demo mode" to let you see what it's capable of before you buy the programmer.

I don't think they still make the PrEPROM series, but they do make some similar programmers, and a few "universal" programmers with pin-drivers on all the socket pins.

No relation to the company or anyone that works for them - I'm just a satisfied customer...

--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@despammed.com (valid!)| Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G