Elfin Safety

Anyone else ever burnt a hole in their kecks, from a drop of superglue dripping on them ? Heat build up from fineness of threads or chemical make-up of the cloth?

Reply to
N_Cook

For us west of the big pond folks, what are kecks?

Reply to
hrhofmann

For us west of the big pond folks, what are kecks?

Pants - in the context I usually hear the word, usually underpants.

Reply to
ian field

"N_Cook" wrote in news:hiq1pd$st4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

When I've spilled a drop of superglue on my pants,it just leaves a dark spot that is hard and inflexible,and that doesn't wash out.

I suppose it's possible that the solvent in the glue would attack some synthetic fibers.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

HTP can burst into flames when spilled on dirty fabrics.

Once when repairing the PCB runners on an ABS monitor case, that a previous repairer had mucked up with solvent glue, I'd superglued most of the shattered fragments of ABS back in - but a lot was just crumbs.

What I used to fill the gaps, was cigarette ash and superglue, a plug of ash soaked in superglue is like granite - I noticed that the effect of ash on superglue was that it set hard instantly, and produced a lot of heat in doing so!

Reply to
ian field

previous

ash

If the cloth had been touching skin I would have got a burn. Don;t know what temp it got to or whether it was smoke or steam rising from the patch. It turned into a burnt hole with a surround of metal-hard ex-fabric around. Probably a volume to surface area effect. Cigarette papers are paassed through a multi EHT discharge process to create millions? of micro pores in the paper to assist "draw". Don't know what my kecks were made from, as label is washed out , but presumably polyster and cotton fibres.

Reply to
N_Cook

Once upon a time I watched an engineer spill a large pot of superglue on his bench he tried to wipe it up with an old cotton cloth only to find it on fire and stuck to his hands. Being helpful I went over and put out the flames and the smouldering cloth only to find my feet stuck to the floor! You would have thought that I would have learnt from this but 10 years later when someone annoyed me I superglue his shoe laces together, cotton again and very worrying when your shoes are smouldering and you can't get them off cause some idiot has glued them. If you read this Roger "SORRY"

Reply to
John Ferrier

"John Ferrier" wrote in news:Yks4n.27318$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.virginmedia.com:

sounds fishy.

what use would anyone have for a LARGE POT of superglue? You use the stuff in drops. A large pot would harden up pretty quick,before you could use much of it.

And how do you glue shoelaces when the guy is wearing the shoes?? Crawl under his desk?

A joke I played on a Hooters waitress was to superglue a salt shaker to the table,and when she came around to fill the shakers at the end of her shift,she couldn't get the shaker off the table. We were all laughing so hard. B-) Then another regular who thought he was going to be a hero came over,grabbed it and yanked hard,and it still didn't come loose! I loved it. He looked like a fool. Then the "hero" thought about it,gave it a rap sideways,and it popped loose.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

When superglue first hit the market in the UK, I remember numerous incidents hitting the news of people getting glued to public bog seats and having to be carried out with a blanket over them by the fire & rescue service.

I just can't imagine anyone not inspecting the bog seat before sitting down!

Reply to
ian field