Electric Golf Trolley Controller

I hope this is the correct group - please feel free to redirect me if not...

I have an electric golf trolley which has developed a fault....upon opening up the controller I noticed that one of the components was burnt out....

When I tried to remove the component the casing fell apart, which meant that the part number was unreadable....

I am now trying to figure out what part it actually was....

There is a similar looking component next to it, which from the markings (B2060) seems to be a Schottky Rectifier (but I am not sure). This component is made by a different manufacturer from the one that fell apart, and is connected to the positive feed from the battery. The one that fell apart is connected to the negative feed from the battery, and made by IRF.

I think it might be a "55V Single N-Channel HEXFET Power MOSFET in a TO-220AB package" (From the IRF website this is one of the only units that has an N in the product code - which is the only letter I can make out on what is left of the component)

Would one of these be present on such a device ?

Any other advice?

Sorry, but my knowledge of electronics is pretty poor.....

Many thanks

Andrew

Reply to
andrew.carroll

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 03:33:27 -0800, andrew.carroll Has Frothed:

Would help to know the make and model of the golf cart (trolly)?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Sorry - I completely forgot to mention that...

It is one of these I believe

Many thanks

Andrew

Meat Plow wrote:

Reply to
andrew.carroll

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 04:21:33 -0800, andrew.carroll Has Frothed:

Hah, no problem.

Ok, it's made by Yongkang New Feiya. Let me see what I can dig up for you.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 07:31:27 -0500, Meat Plow Has Frothed:

Contact Jack Xu:

snipped-for-privacy@ykfeiya.com

Maybe he has service literature in the form of a PDF or a service manual to help you identify the part.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

I tried e-mailing them, but I got an error message back, so I have also filled out the feedback form on the website in the hope I get a response that way.

Thanks

Andrew

Meat Plow wrote:

Reply to
andrew.carroll

Sounds pretty likely, I'd expect there to be several MOSFETs in the controller, is it in parallel with any other similar looking components?

Reply to
James Sweet

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:05:18 +0000, James Sweet Has Frothed:

Just a friendly FYI so you know you're giving your reply the wrong attributes when you quote my name at the top :)

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

There is a very similar looking component right next to it, although it has different markings.

The one I have removed was connected to the negative feed from the battery, with one of the other pins connected to a resistor.

The other, similar one, has one pin connected to the positive battery terminal (which is also shared with the positive feed to the motor), and one of the other pins is connected to the negative feed to the motor.

Reply to
andrew.carroll

This looks like a very similar circuit to the one I am trying to repair...

The component that has failed is one of those under the heatsink (far left of the picture)....with the insulating pads underneath

Thanks

Andrew

snipped-for-privacy@eur> There is a very similar looking component right next to it, although it

Reply to
andrew.carroll

Yeah it sounds like the one that blew up is a mosfet controlling power to the motor.

Reply to
James Sweet

In message , snipped-for-privacy@europe.com writes

I would have to ask why not just buy that one then, it's only 19.50and it's highly likely to be more reliable than something that's been repaired. Are you in the UK? If so, roughly where, I may be able to help.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Why would it be more reliable than something that was repaired? A quality repair will often fix shortcuts taken in the original manufacture.

Reply to
James Sweet

In message , James Sweet writes

Agreed, that's a very good point but the OP stated he knows little about electronics so I would suspect this isn't going to be the case here. Of course, there may be another fault and the new unit may burn up immediately. If he's doing it to learn then it's obviously not going to help either.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

On 21 Nov 2006 04:35:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@europe.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

This is probably the motor driver MOSFET. Before you replace it, I would check all its support components, and I'd also confirm that the motor is OK. At the very least I'd check the brushes.

When replacing the MOSFET, choose a high current, low RDSon type. You may find that ST Microelectronics have a cheaper, more readily available range than IRF.

I think that is probably a back-emf suppression diode, eg MBRB2060CT (20A, 60V).

components?

If the golf cart is designed to travel in the forward direction only, then a single MOSFET would suffice.

- Franc Zabkar

--=20 Please remove one 'i' from my address when replying by email.

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

Hi Clint,

That is my fall back plan.....although the one on the auction looks a little more up to date, as it actually has proper connectors on it rather than having all the wires soldered to the circuit.

I thought it might be a learning experience to have a go myself first though....

I am in the UK - Leighton Buzzard to be precise..

Many thanks

Andrew

Cl> In message ,

Reply to
andrew.carroll

Hi Franc,

I think you are probably correct - My initial checks had suggested that it was the power MOSFET, and the ones I am looking at are 50v with an RDSon of 0.014, which I believe is low.

Many thanks

Andrew

Franc Zabkar wrote:

Reply to
andrew.carroll

In message , snipped-for-privacy@europe.com writes

Always nice to learn things, there are lots of people here willing to help.

Ah, Manchester here, was thinking maybe I could take a look but the cost of the postage would make it more expensive.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

Clint,

Thanks for the offer though.....I'll post how I get on....

Regards

Andrew

Cl> In message ,

Reply to