DTV clock screwed up

Using a set-top DTV converter, analog TV. Works fine, except for about a week now the clock appears to be an hour slow.

I say "the clock" as if it's part of the converter, but apparently the box gets the time from the TV stations; I notice the time changes slightly from channel to channel sometimes. But every channel shows the clock an hour behind. All other info--program titles, etc.--seems to be correct.

Any way to fix this? The only options that can be set through the on-screen menu are:

o Clock: Time zone is selectable (correctly set to Pacific) Daylight saving option is set to "Auto"

Can't see anything else that can be tweaked here.

So does the STB get the time from the stations? Is there an internal clock? If so, why can't I set it?

David Nebenzahl

In message , David Nebenzahl writes

Have you tried 'lying' to it, and setting the time zone to 'Mountain'? Or setting the daylight saving to 'manual'? See if this has any effect - or if the converter ignores you.

--
Ian
Reply to

*Exactly* an hour? (don't judge by your local wall clock; notice the time when TV programs change and see if it coincides with the time posted in the EPG)

It is possible the DST algorithm is wonky (Congress changes it pretty regularly so who knows what the folks who made the converter box *assumed* to be the rule).

What other options does the DST setting support?

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Let me guess, cheap chinese crap right? The problem is that the DST was implemented incorrectly (which makes me wonder what else they got wrong if they could not even get DST right!)

Turn the Daylight saving option to 'off' or 'manual'.

Reply to
PeterD

What model DTV tuner? I have a Zenith DTT901 (Best Buy sold a rebranded one under their own name) and it acts like that. It's up to the station to set the correct time. Many do not. The DTT gets it's time from the current channel, or the last channel possible if it can't find a time signal.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross
Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

It the daylight savings time phenomema. Many computer with older operating systems suffer from the same Congressional-induced problems. Another example of our dependence on electronics. If we ever go to war, we will lose because all our missle control systems use non-USA made electronics and spare parts will not be available.

Reply to
hrhofmann

On 10/16/2010 5:39 AM Andrew Rossmann spake thus:

Yes, I forgot to mention that mine's also a DTT901. Thanks for confirming what I thought about the source of the "clock".

I actually really don't care about this problem much, more just curiosity. Apparently it's a problem with interpreting DST and when it's implemented (I guess it was recently changed).

David Nebenzahl

It can be way off. I have cable, and have a DTT901 as a backup as my old TV didn't have a digital tuner. I have it set up in my AV system, so I an still use it occasionally to play around and sometimes even watch a few channels that are not available on cable. Also, the occasional DX'ing (I picked up Cleveland from Chicago once!!)

Anyways, at about 8 something PM, I was playing around with it, and on one channel, it said it was 2:14PM!! Most of the rest are OK.

The main issue with DST will be Halloween week, as the 30th would have been the last day of DST under the old rules. It's now Nov 6.