drier bacteria lamp

Hi...

Perhaps a little off-topic, but I'll fix that up at the end :)

Have a clothes drier (two, actually) with those anti-bacterial bulbs in them. Both burned out. They look like old fashioned Christmas tree bulbs, but 110 v 10 w, dual contact bayonet bases. Glass looks like plain glass, but smoky.

Anyone have any idea whether or not they are of value health-wise ?

Searched google and stores without success, anyone have any idea where I might find replacements ?

And for topic, I can see the broken filaments, anyone have any idea how I go about repairing them? :) :)

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Presumably they are UV bulbs. The benefits are dubious unless you have leprosy perhaps.

Try

??

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Ken Weitzel wrote in news:9JGmh.555906$R63.308697 @pd7urf1no:

No.

Reply to
Jim Land

They sound more like filament bulbs that real UV bulbs. Filaments produce minimal amounts of uv, but are often sold as uv tubes.

As for uv in a drier, what for? Dryness alone kills pretty much everything. If you have a specific reason for needing them, eg a med lab, then you'll need to replace the UVC tubes. But they sound more like valueless filament jobs.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

These are UV bulbs, they have a quartz glass envelope which passes hard UV. The bulbs themselves are a discharge lamp with a filament to heat up and strike the arc. Instead of a vacuum, the inner atmosphere is low pressure argon with a bit of mercury. The lamps are run in series with a choke similar to that used with small fluorescent tubes to limit the arc current, powering one without the choke will destroy it.

The idea of the lamp is it emits UVC which breaks down oxygen in the air into ozone, a highly reactive (and toxic) gas which reacts with and breaks down odor causing substances. It's what's responsible for that fresh scent after a thunderstorm, and can be produced in large quantities by Tesla coils and other HV sources. Do not breath it more than necessary, it's not good for you but it is good for killing bacteria. My hot tub has an ozone generator to help clean the water, it uses a modern quartz UV lamp internally similar to a small fluorescent tube.

Reply to
James Sweet