DPDT Switch

I'm trying to locate a DPDT rocker switch--12V 8amp--for a 3-way electrical installation for my RV. Any suggestions? Auto parts stores no help?

Thanks

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

Hi Tut...

Radio shack...

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.
Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Sounds like you want a battery changeover switch. Try an RV seller - they'll point you to places.

NSM

Thanks everyone--to answer each question--

  1. It would be a 3-way switch setup--I have two SPDT switches currently and would like to add a third.
  2. Radio Shack was the first place I tried--the young'ns working there aren't like days of old--they weren't familiar with the term DPDT--and had none in stock in the switch area
  3. Visited local RV dealer--best they could do was to offer two switchs to gang together
  4. Attempting to move the water pump switch to the kitchen where it should have been in the first place.

Thanks again

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

Hi Tut...

They just don't make them younger folks like they used to :)

The RS part number is on the link I sent; ask 'em to order in one or two for you.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

I'm not sure why RS even bothers any more. Most of their stores are the size of shoeboxes and 99% of the time don't have what you're looking for.

Reply to
Rick

Ken--looks like that switch will work--the RS guys had even given me a new catalog that I went through with a fine tooth comb but didn't see the DPDT you found so quickly. I feel silly--thanks again.

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

Joe It would be a total of 3 switches working independently.

I miss Jack Handey's comments on SNL--do you have his book? :-)

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

"You've got questions - we've got idiots"!

NSM

What you appear to need is the same as a domestic lighting intermediate switch - ie if you need to add a third switch to a two way switched circuit. These are DPDT types, but with internal strapping and only four accessible terminals. In the UK, they're often available in 20 amp AC, so in the US where currents must be greater they might well be ok at 8 amp DC.

Most of the easily available DPDT rockers from UK component suppliers seem only to give an AC rating.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave--

Thanks Dave--I was wondering how interchangeable 120V and 12V switches are--if it's only an I^2R thing, then I think I'm OK.

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

Basically, I dunno. I've not found a direct correlation between types which give both specs.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Generally they are not. A search of some RV support sites found various remote controlled switches which might work better for you.

NSM

NSM--

Thanks--I'm such a novice at this Google search thing--and I'm always impressed with what folks get find in a matter of seconds. If someone does makes a remote controlled SPDT switch--that would save me some significant installation time.

Thanks

Tut

Reply to
cnctut

It's rather easier to find a relay with a DC rating. Then the world's your oyster in the switch to operate it. But of course it will draw current when made - perhaps not ideal when running off batteries.

--
*Real women don't have hot flashes, they have power surges.