Miniature Omron G6K relays

Some of you may be interested. Recently, John Larkin mentioned his use of many Omron G6K-2G-Y-DC5 DPDT relays here. I was interested, but worried about the capacitive coupling between the two sections, which isn't mentioned in the data sheet. So I measured it: It turns out to be about 30fF between the pair of open contacts and about

110fF between the pair of closed ones. I deduce that the moving parts have about 80fF between them then.

I measured contact-to-coil capacitances too: 200fF for an open contact and 800fF for a closed pair, after correction for the pad capacitances.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Good info, thanks.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Amazing parts, no? No semiconductor can approach this, much less DPDT for about $1.50.

Nice data, thanks. Were those 3-terminal measurements? On top of a ground plane?

I haven't tried making a transmission-line switch and characterizing the quality, which would be TDR in my world. I'll throw a test layout on my next multipurpose multilayer hack board.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

This was measured on a single-sided board with a fat ground trace running between the rows. The measuring instrument was a HP5387D NA. The coupling looked purely capacitive up to some 100MHz. Beyond that, the curves got bumpy, probably mainly due to my quick & dirty lash-up.

They are very nice parts indeed.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen