Arcing in a old 3-way switch!

Hi,

I posted earlier about how a 3-way, illuminated switch works, well, I hooked it up permanently. One is the new commercial grade illuminated 3-way switch and the other is an old residential grade non-illuminated 3-way switch. I came in the house and saw that the illuminated switch was lit and the load was off so, I went in the house and flipped the non-illuminated switch and all I could hear was arcing and the load not lighting up so, I flipped it off and it stopped, I tried it again and the same thing happened, I tried a third time and the light started flickering and then fully lit up, then the arcing sound stopped, I tried 15 more times and it worked fine, I smelled the switch and it smells of ozone. The non-illuminated switch was lying around in my tool box for

4 to 6 years and it had light oxidation on the terminals but, it came from the inside, I thought maybe it was because the load was a small fluorescent sconce but, I think it's because the up position of the switch probably had oxidation on the part that the actuator connected to, because switched down it was fine, it only did that in the up position. I think to ease my mind, I'm going to buy a new one, a commercial grade one, just for added security, but what do you people think about this?

Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
js5895

Hi.

Residential switches have a pretty good safety record, but your experience shows part of why building codes require them to be put in a box. I would just buy a modern switch designed for residential use and not worry about it.

BTW, the fluorescent lamp load is one of the more brutal with respect to causing arcing in a switch. Yours probably had some dirt in it, or even a bug.

Anytime.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

I thought that's what it was, but, I'm very critical of my electrical work. I just went to the Home Depot and bought a commercial grade, non-illuminated, 3-way switch, 20A by accident, but it's a step-up. I wired it up and it works fine, thanks for responding so fast.

Thanks.

Reply to
js5895