Does Samsung QLED suck?

Four year old Samsung 60" UHD QLED tv cannot be repaired. The problem is lines of dead pixels across screen. Samsung repair center says the display has to be replaced which would cost $1400.

The tv was top-of-the line 3D 240Hz and cost $3300.

Is this representative of Samsung?

Reply to
root

It is not representative of Samsung, it is representative of the technology. However, this is often the case with TV's. I remember 30 years ago pricing a replacement CRT for a 19 inch Sony Trinitron. Dealer cost was around $325, at a time when you could buy a new 19" Sony for $299.

While it is disappointing that it failed in 4 years, that it is not worth buying the part does not surprise me.

Regards, Tim Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

I don't think there's anything wrong with your TV that requires a new LCD panel.

A line of dead (black) pixels is not a "dead pixel". It's a dead row or column device, or more likely, a bad connection or dirty connector between the LCD panel and the row driver device. I've fixed such intermittent connections on computer monitors and laptops by tearing apart the display panel, massaging the ribbon cable connector, and sometimes placing a few layers of tape between the panel sections to compress the connection. This is close:

"Simple most probable fix for Samsung LCD TV black line and were colored lines vertically On screen" Vertical lines are the same as horizontal lines, except on a different connector.

More of the same:

Your biggest headache will be handling the 60" monster. You'll probably need a large table and possibly a sheet of plywood covered with foam, blankets, or padding. Take photos as you take it apart so that you can remember where things go. Removing the plastic frame is often tricky. There are probably disassembly videos on YouTube.

I've noticed with computer monitors that I see more intermittent connectors when the TV is on a movable hinged wall mount. Any TV that big will tend to flex and twist a little, causing the ribbon cable to move. You might want to tape the ribbon cable to the sheet metal. Most manufacturers do this already, but the tape tends to fall off after a while. Use high temp Kapton tape so that the heat from the panel doesn't melt the glue.

I don't know. I don't fix Samsung TV's. I have plenty to complain about Samsung computer monitors, but they're still equal or better than most others. Most of the one's I use for myself are Samsung. I have no idea if the replacement panel price is normal. I suspect a big part of the price will be shipping, handling, and transportation to/from the repair shop. Too bad you didn't include the exact Samsung model number so I could check prices.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yes.

And LG and Sony and Hisense and TCL and Vizio.

You should look at avsforum.com and check out the threads for any brand.

You'll find in each one multiple complaints about "its only 2,3,4 (pick one) years old and...".

I have a 73" Mitsubishi DLP I can let you have for cheap, they got so bad after mine (with the LaserVue models), they pulled out of the North American market altogether.

Your best bet, if in the states, get a Costco membership and buy the tv there.

They double the warranty, usually you have 2 years in house service, then purchase (usually $89~$99) the squaretrade extention which gives another 3 years.

They won't fix the set (usually) but replace it with something similar.

Simply put, there is no lcd/qled/hdr/3d/edge-lit/fald make or model that you will be giving away to your grandkids no matter how much you pay for it.

After 2 years they are so obsolete (usually surpassed 2 or 3 times) there is no point anymore with repairs. Your $3400 4 year old tv can be replaced with a brand new model for half that now (from Samsung no less).

Only logical move these days is find one you'll fall in love with then get the longest replacement warranty with it.

Or find one you hate (tcl/hisense) and assume you'll be replacing it every

2 or 3 years. Being they are half (or more) cheaper than the mainstream brands, you'll still end up spending the same over the long run.

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Consumer Protection? Implied Warranty?

In some countries you get a number of years to notice a fault. I think it's 4 years for the States.

In UK/Europe it's less ....

--
Adrian C
Reply to