Bose Wave Radio 9kHz AM spacing?

Does anybody know (a) how to *open* a Bose Wave Radio ;-) and (b) how to make the adjustment above? The unit was bought in the USA where AM interstation spacing is 5kHz but here it is 9kHz so the AM band is basically useless. Bose service is probably not an option here.

Reply to
Esmond Pitt

Bose is a POS anyway, but I bet there is no way to do what you want. I'm sure the interstation spacing is programmed into a chip in the set.

"Bose is for people with more money than sense."

Search for (don't buy bose)

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

For a start, there have been 4 versions of the Wave Radio. I'm assuming that we are talking the latest here ? I had a look at the service manual, and it makes no mention of being able to change the AM tuning steps, so I think tat you are on a hiding to nothing here. The system control micro does supply data to the PLL, and it is a mask programmed device, so I'd bet that it is one dash number for the US market, and a different one for other territories. Sorry.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You will not be able to alter the radio to receive Euro-spacing AM stations. First, that is masked into the chip, second that chip will not be on a socket, so changing it and all other adjustments would be a major PITA. This is assuming you find the chip in the first place.

That being written, there is a simple solution if you *must* have AM and you *must* use that radio. Ultimately, it will be cheaper as well.

Obtain a small AM transmitter, I strongly recommend the SSTRAN AMT-3000 for the purpose. Be sure you tell Phil that you want the US spacing - he sells it both ways. Then use a cheap tuner to feed the SSTRAN, use that to feed the Bose. The added advantage is that this transmitter will cover your entire house with ease, so it need not be right next to the radio. With some care and an outboard antenna, it will do a dozen acres or more. At ~US$100, it is a bargain. If your cheap tuner has FM and long-wave as well, then your Bose can receive whatever is broadcast locally beyond its otherwise limited capacity.

I keep this one and a small FM-stereo transmitter around. With these two, my modest collection of vintage radios and audio equipment is digital-proof.

Last question: are you 50uS or 75uS de-emphasis? If you are 50, the Bose will sound a bit twitchy-chirpy as it is 75.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Not possible. Buy a Grundig YB400PE.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Thanks for all the relevant answers.

No thanks for the others, they were strictly off-topic. The unit isn't mine.

Reply to
Esmond Pitt

Consider yourself lucky in that case.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

From what I remember, the inter-spacing between the stations on your radio is part of the internal firmware in the uPC chip.

By-the-way, North American stations are spaced 10 kHz apart, not 5 kHz apart!

As for your FM reception, the EQ is different between Europe and North America. The frequency response and noise suppression of the FM will be a little out of specs.

--

JANA
_____

"Esmond Pitt"  wrote in message
Does anybody know (a) how to *open* a Bose Wave Radio ;-) and (b) how to
make the adjustment above? The unit was bought in the USA where AM
interstation spacing is 5kHz but here it is 9kHz so the AM band is
basically useless. Bose service is probably not an option here.
Reply to
JANA

Once again this is not relevant to my question. Try rec.audio.something if you want to post this sort of thing. I thought I'd get some sanity over here. Sorry to find I'm wrong.

Reply to
Esmond Pitt

Hi!

I doubt that the change will be easily implemented. However, I would definitely try Bose customer service in your list of possible ideas. They might offer a straight up trade for the unit or maybe even offer a pro-rated exchange.

While I can't offer any advice on taking the unit apart, if and when you do, carefully examining the circuit board may reveal some method of changing the frequency steps for the AM band. In the best case, there might be a soldered shunt or jumper bridge over a set of terminals to direct the microcontroller as to what set of tuning instructions it should follow.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

You are wrong because you are a prick. So piss off.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I have no knowledge of this unit, but the FM spacing may also be a problem for US spec units used in Europe. The US FM spacing is 200 kHz, and in Europe it is 100 kHz.

I found this out after importing a US car to Sweden, and in my home town we have a transmitter on 96.6 MHz, which could not be received on the radio in the car.

Frequently car (japanese) stereos can be software configured for 200 or 50 kHz FM spacing. Perhaps the same thing is applicable here?

I believe my home cinema receiver can also be configured for different spacing using a service mode menu.

Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Tornblom

Please don't get arsey. You did get some sensible answers, for which you thanked the posters concerned, which is appreciated, but in the same sentence, you 'had a go' at the couple of people who were just having a bit of fun with you. Although I service Bose gear for a local dealer, and don't have any real problem with it, if you knew anything about the service business, you would also know that their equipment comes in for a lot of fun-poking. Homer and Meat are two long term and valid contributors to this group, and if you come here regularly, you would know that and accept that their comments were just throw-away humour ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Sorry to see you're such an ass. Your friends radio can't be converted so get over it already.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

It will depend on which version you have, but I know the wave radio cd can be changed. There's no easy step by step instructions in the service manual, but there are various jumpers and resistors that are different between the US and European versions of the wave/CD. The micro controller is the same.

The only way to know how to change yours is to buy the service manual and see which parts are listed as being different for different locations. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

this

Given what came subsequently, that clearly isn't an adequate description.

Although I service Bose gear for a local dealer, and don't

I do know that, and I do it myself in other places. I just don't regard it as relevant in this case. When I ask a repair question in group called sci.electronics.repair I think I'm entitled to object to answers that aren't about repair. Responses that make assumptions that it's a repair-or-replace decision, or that the unit is mine, or state that some imagined personal attribute of mine implies that I am wrong, are merely illogical. This is a 'sci' group - doesn't that mean science?

Reply to
Esmond Pitt

No, you aren't. This is a public wall and anyone can piss on it. Deal with it.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson