Determining power handling of a speaker ?

Really? How do they maintain the impedance? The resistance would go up quite a bit, and the insulation wouldn't last very long. It sounds like another audiofools dream.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I seem to recall some manufacturer in the 1980s demonstrating something like this, touting the durability of their kapton voice coil formers. I am not sure that the demo was using actual voice coil wire.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 21013 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

It does, that`s why power compresion occurs.

and the insulation wouldn't last very long.

probably not, I have seen coil formers baked very brown by the heat from the coil without the coil itself failing, I doubt the actual voice coil could withstand glowing red, specially as they are almost always copper or aluminium. Maybe the term red hot was meant as a colloquialism for 'very very hot', certainly above 100c

I`m quite prepared to be educated tho.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

It does ! The effect is usually called 'power compression' and it can typically knock up to 3dB off the speaker sensitivity with prolonged high power use. That'll give you some inkling as to the temp rises involved.

Since such speakers are invariably used with 'active crossovers' on the inputs to the amplifiers it doesn't cause any adverse issues with crossover responses.

The company that first made that 'red hot' claim was Precision Devices. You can find a 1000W continuous rated speaker of theirs here.

Kapton voice coil formers are now the norm for decent quality speakers.

I have *never* seen a purely thermal failure in any *modern* voice coil.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That'll

I`ve seen the pigtails melt before the voice coil does.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:25:01 +0000, Ron(UK) Has Frothed:

typically

That'll

inputs to

can

I'm a musician who plays bass. My rig is a 1000 watt rms Crown Microtec power amp biamped to a 4x10 cab and 1x15 cab. I caught the Cerwin Vega 15" speaker on fire at an outdoor gig and didn't even know it until people in the crowd yelled at me. Prior to that, the speaker was reconed and I guess the person who reconed it used flammable materials as I'm pretty sure a speaker cone isn't supposed to catch fire. And since we had a fire extinguisher hand I was able to put it out right away saving the cabinet. I measured the voice coil and it wasn't open or shorted. I sent it back to the local reconer and he redid it for free and promised it wouldn't catch fire again which it never did.

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow