Capacitor Terminals

This cap tested dud across all possible terminal combinations. However, I have to wonder why it's got 5 terminals. Why would you put

5 tags on a capacitor when only two are needed?

Cursitor Doom

A multi-section capacitor contains several capacitors in the same can, with a common ground. You'd find them in old radios. Without a better look at the label of your cap, I can't be sure that's what you've got, but it's what I'd guess.

john

Reply to
John

Bugger! I did kind of wonder if that was the situation. If I'd had a schematic I'd have been able to see straight away. Damn!

Here's a better picture of the markings:

And the just to the right of those, there's this:

051 55473 M HP 9420 : 40/085/56

Not sure if that helps at all or not!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Three of them may be common negative, physically arranged to hold the capacitor firmly on a PC board.

Reply to
Liz Tuddenham

I certainly hope so!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Those "extra" pins are there to give it mechanical mounting strength. Pins 1 and 5 are the electrical connections - pins 2,3 and 4 give it additional stability/strength.

Datasheet at:

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

many thanks indeed for that, Ed (and good guess, Liz!)

Reply to
Cursitor Doom