Deskjet 840C - replaced black cartridge, now the orange LED is blinking and won't print

My Deskjet 840C printer has been great, until now I've never had a problem with it. Black ink ran out, started fading then only a few streaks of black. I popped in a new cartridge and now it just sits there blinking the orange (bottom) LED and makes a soft clunk every 10 seconds or so. I've tried power cycles, unplugging it, putting the old cartridge in, etc. Anyone seen this before? I know it's cheap to just go buy a new printer but it bugs me to just toss it out when it's been working fine and I have a few spare cartridges.

Reply to
James Sweet

I had this same problem with my 930c; turned out the replacement cart wasn't an exact match. try another.

-B

when you put the old one back in does the orange light go out and the printer act normail. I have the 842C and went through the exact same thing and the new cart. was bad. Put another in and all was fine.

Reply to
Pinballer

Well dang, it does! I had initially thought the old cart did the same thing but when I put it back in the light keeps blinking because it's empty but the printer otherwise works.

Now the dilemma, do I buy a new black cartridge for half what a whole new printer costs or do I just buy a new printer? I hate to junk one that works but the cartridges are stupid expensive and I've had bad luck with refills.

Reply to
James Sweet

buy the cart. off of ebay. You can get a black one for as little as $2 plus $3 for shipping. You can even buy then in matched sets of black and color for $15 shipped.

Reply to
Pinballer

If you decide to junk it send it my way.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy