DeLL E152FPc Goes black after a second.

Yep. I just did a quick search using Google Shopping for "19" LCD monitor". Quite a few refurbished units for $70 to $100. New for about $120 to $150. Not very economical to repair at $75/hr.

Not mine. However, I made my own out of a swivel plate with detents as inspired by:

The lazy susan is a bit too crude for me. However, all my office and home monitors are 4:3, not 16:9. They rotate quite easily. 16:9 wide screen monitors might seem a bit high, but I've built two of these for customers and they loved it. One is a script writer and the other a technical editor, which might explain their interest in portrait mode displays.

I'm 61 years ancient, wear bifocals, and don't have a problem. That's because I don't use the bifocals in front of the screen. I'm fortunate and can still use the cheap "reading" glasses without correction for computer use. For driving, I need bifocals.

Plug: Cheap prescription glasses:

Well, I've been told that I have no writing ability, no aesthetic sense, no appreciation of layout styles, and no artistic abilities. That's a sufficient to avoid DTP and other forms of real work. About the only layout work I do is some HTML, which is admittedly fairly badly done. Despite these limitations, I can usually adapt to any screen size or layout ranging from tiny Netbook and PDA displays, to projection screens. Getting a full page view doesn't do much for me. However, waiting a few days and taking a second look usually causes me to ask "what was I thinking"?

More seriously, I cheat a bit and have two monitors and two computers on my desk at home. I have a switch that allows me to put both monitors on a dual display video card on the main machine. That's very useful if I want a huge workspace. I don't used it often, but when doing antenna design and 3D modeling, it's quite handy.

Yep.

You haven't seen my office. 700 sq ft, mostly storage and bakers racks.

(scroll horizontally). I wouldn't have room for 6 monitors. In my case, the danger is not pets. It's visitors. Despite warnings, visitor always manage to smash into something. No fatalities, so far.

I do that, but only for testing CCFL tubes. I always seem to forget to test the assembled panels. Thanks for the reminder.

Nope. They just threaten to give me a negative review for daring to suggest they're selling crap and don't honor their alleged warranties. However, that's only happened once in perhaps 8 years, so I'm not worried about retaliation. In this case, I called the vendor, who indicated that I should try the board despite the crack, and see what happens. If it fails, he'll still honor the warranty. So, I crammed it into the HP LJ4200 (about 20 connectors) and it worked just fine. I slopped some epoxy on the crack and will deliver it tomorrow. No need to return it.

Yep. Been there and had it happen. It's really ugly inside laptop LCD displays, where there's little room to maneuver. I just bought a replacement inverter for a Dell B130 laptop that had exactly the same part number as the original, but where the mounting hole was moved about 0.050". I took apart the mounting bracket, filed the hole to fit and reassembled. 20 minutes totally wasted. Other laptops were not so easy. I've had to use hot melt glue to secure some inverters.

On the other foot, I have nothing against cannibalism.

Yep. I have a Pace desoldering station with a motorized vacuum pump. It's strong enough to suck the pad off the board if necessary. Some boards offer some relief around the leads, while others are so tight as to defy removal. I have a method to deal with caps that's somewhat non-conventional. I have a cable cutter, with semi-circular cutters, that I use to chop off the top of the cap near the base. I then remove what's left of the base, leaving only two leads projecting from the PCB. I grab a lead with pliers, heat the joint, and pull them out, one at a time. Works nicely and much better than the Pace desoldering station.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

And their prices continue to fall. So, you fix one only to find it "competing" with a new, *warrantied* unit for roughly the same price.

I'd rather wider. I tried a three monitor setup once and

*loved* it. But, my current machine doesn't like having lots of video cards :-(

Yes, I think the problem is with folks whose reading and computer Rx's are different. E.g., I know people with "computer bifocals" (the near Rx is set for the distance to the screen while the far is set for "distance") and "regular bifocals" (near Rx is set for reading with far set for "distance"). Apparently, trying to read "close up" through the "computer Rx" is where the problem lies (I once saw a pair of lenses cut with *four* different regions in each lens -- I guess predating "progressive" lenses?)

Thankfully, I still only need glasses for distance -- though reading the markings on some components either requires bright light *or* a magnifying glass (e.g. reading glasses) Apparently a consequence of losing "focusing power" with age.

Ha! Sounds like a career in POLITICS should be right up your alley! ;-)

I deliberately started taking on these kinds of work just to try to develop those skills. Spelling is sometimes a challenge (esp when it comes to "doubling the final consonant") but there are tools to help with that :-/

I have my two primary machines attached to a pair of monitors with built-in A/B switches. So, I can have both monitors attached to either machine or one monitor on each. I keep the keyboard for one machine on the work surface and the other in a "keyboard drawer" beneath. I find this easier than using a KVM though, at times, I have a hard time remembering which keyboard to type on! :-/

;-)

I work out of a spare bedroom for "head stuff" and commandeer appropriate floor space as needed (and usually incur much wrath in doing so!). I think it helps me keep things from getting out of control and ending up living in a "cave".

Visitors you can at least vent your anger on (even if you do it privately after they depart). With pets, you really can't blame them for their actions -- the fault lies squarely with *you*!

Well, *I* haven't learned that lesson, yet! :< But, again, if I was doing this "for real", I would set things up more efficiently (I repair them for a local charity so I can't really invest much time/space in this)

Ouch. Owing to my time limitations, I am pretty reluctant about investing much "special effort" in fixes that aren't relatively straightforward. If I was *paid* for my time, I might think otherwise. Or, if the repair was for my own personal use. Otherwise, if I can't make it work without re-engineering the fix, it goes in the recycle pile...

Of course! I was originally *thrilled* with the idea that I could make a quick fix just by stealing parts from one for the other. A real "no-brainer". Hence the disappointment when I saw the *arbitrary* changes they had made in manufacturing... :<

Exactly. I have actually deliberately laid out some boards like this to discourage "amateur" repairs. Really obvious when someone lifts a pad because they weren't prepared to deal with a board laid out with such fine-line rules...

I usually find that the thermal mass of the tip I am using (at the time) is just not enough to overcome any big ground planes, etc. And, rather than wait for the tip to cool so I can swap in something larger, I just move on to the next candidate. :< Always more broken stuff waiting to be fixed than there is time available to fix it! (and it sure looks like the current "lack of quality" will be with us for quite a while!)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Those scopes look ancient! :)

Reply to
JW

They work. There's another pile of scopes at home including some that are waiting for me to find time to repair:

Hmmm... that's an old photo that only shows about 1/3 of the pile. I guess my test equipment collection qualifies as a 1970's technology museum, but it's quite adequate for what I need. I'm currently considering a USB oscilloscope, so some of the old scopes may eventually be retired.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I bought several ATI 2 port PCIe video cards. The county uses Matrox video cards in their emergency dispatch center to run up to 4 monitors. However, why stop at 3 monitors:

I can see that if they're transcribbling from notes or have to look at their fingers when typing. Seeing the screen is not a problem because it's fixed distance. However, the keyboard and copy might be anywhere between about 12" to 36". That's a good application for progressive lenses. Learning to type better and purchasing a copy stand might be alternatives. Fortunately, I can type at about 30 mistakes per minute without looking at the keyboard, so single vision is adequate for me.

Yep. Same problem. I have a Maglite for exactly that purpose. The depth of field for my eyes increases when the pupil narrows under bright lights.

Nope. I tried to get elected to the local water board and failed. I also have some bad habits and strange appearance that apparently affects my abilities to get elected:

(Give it a few seconds to load). I also tend to go in circles:

(Give it time to load. Then move the mouse around the photo).

That was when it was clean. I'll post a current photo when I get to the office in a few daze. Incidentally, I've been at the same location since about 1990, which might explain the accumulation of junk.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.

Next opportunity, try it my way. Being able to eliminate the cazapitor as a heat sink, and having access to both sides of the lead, is a big plus. Even the big ground plane sinking doesn't seem to be as bad with the mass of the cazapitor gone.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Good scopes never die! :> I still long for a Tek 454 (which probably also qualifies as ancient but is more than adequate for my nominal "analog" needs!). And, I groan when I think about how many tek probes I gave away over the years :< (most of my work is digital so I am far more interested in the "micro hooks/grabbers)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

The machines that I am currently using are strictly PCI (i.e., not PCIe, x, AGP, etc.) so I have limited choices for video cards. And, most of the slots are already full:

- USB2

- Wide SCSI

- Wide Differential SCSI

- Narrow SCSI

- "sound"

- Firewire so adding a video card (even a dual-headed card) means losing something else :<

Exactly. If you have written material that you need to consult, you're screwed. I'm lucky because my interactions are usually "original works" (so the "source" is in my head someplace)

*or* I can have the "other documents" (e.g., datasheets) open on another monitor to consult -- instead of having to refer to paper.

Ah, I never thought of it in those terms! I have a pair of reading glasses with small LED lamps attached to each temple. I use them in lieu of a magnifying glass (much more convenient -- unless you only need to look at something *once*). If I am in a darkened area (like trying to read the connector designations on the back of a PC *under* my work table), then I flip on the LEDs for more illumination.

To work on boards, I have a 70X (?) B&L stereomicroscope.

My browser isn't configured for animations (since those are usually "ads" -- why waste CPU cycles on something I don't care to see? :> )

I have found that the adage of junk accumulating to fill available space is true. So, I severely restrict the "available space"! (clever, eh? :> ) Living in the DSW means you can't store anything in anyplace *other* than "living area". So, that means only "inert" things (cables, mechanical parts, etc.) can be stored in the garage; everything else has to fit in the office or under a bed or in a closet.

This makes space a premium. I think there are 10 or 11 computers running here (different operating systems, purposes, etc.) along with 7 or 8 printers (different capabilities ranging from "postcard printers" to "wide format"), three plotters (various sizes), three different scanners (up to B size) -- plus various other special purpose peripherals.

You learn to get the most out of everything you have lest you find yourself needing something *else*! :>

Dunno. The two monitors in question have already been recycled.

That seems to be particularly true of the Dell monitors (which is where this thread started)

I'll *try* to keep it in mind -- but expect to forget it! :>

(I've been changing the oil in my vehicles for decades and I always remember to put on the nitrile gloves *after* I am finished :-(

Reply to
D Yuniskis

LOL! We must have had the same typing tutors!

Reply to
propman

Unless he is one of the new fast walking zombies (thanks Two and a Half Men).

Michael

Reply to
msg

The large (rectified mains filter) is handling 120 Hz ripple (and the pulses from the SMPS). The filter caps on the secondary are handling

100 KHz or greater ripple. As I understand the problem, the ripple current will cause heating (duh!), which will cause the ESR to rise, causing more heating, until eventually a poorly made cap will vent.

The mains filter cap has several advantages - much lower current and much more surface area to dissipate the heat.

PlainBill

Reply to
PlainBill47

Took the time today to open that monitor. It went pretty smoothly, found all the tabs with the help of a small spackle knife. Found the buldging 1000uf 16v capacitor. Found a replacement on an old board from a TV and swapped the two. I have the monitor on and the test pattern up now. Have let it set for about an hour now. Will leave it for a few more to make sure nothing else happens...

Want to give you all a lot of thanks for the help. I probably would have stumbled around inside there for quite awhile before I really figured out how it work.

Knowing how something breaks (common failures) is invaluable when trying to troubleshoot something.

Thanks to all!!

S.

Reply to
Samantha

That is the same same with this one. Found a suitable replacement and done. Thanks!!

Reply to
Samantha

Maybe you might already be aware of this ? but I'll spit it out in case some one else here may benefit from it.

When ever replacing caps found bad like that, in inverter supplies, it's a good idea to make sure you use computer grade or some sort of low ESR types. This is one of the problems that plague these types of circuits and high ESR just pushing it along faster making the cap run warm.

Reply to
Jamie

Samantha wrote in news:samantha- snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

Congratulations! it feels good,doesn't it?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Chances are (?), the "replacement cap" was not a high temperature device (though it might be... depends on where you cound it in the TV). You really want 105degree (C) devices as they tend to be higher reliability in these applications. Otherwise, you'll be replacing *it* soon!

Also, check the manufacturer on the (bad) cap. Chances are there are a few other caps made by the same manufacturer on that board. Often best to just replace them all (I realize you are unlikely to find replacements for all of them on that "TV board" -- but, if you have to order a hi-temp cap you might as well order the rest of them if you want to keep the display running for any length of time) Omit the 400V cap as it seldom fails.

Panasonic FM series caps seem to be a good tradeoff between cost and reliability. DOUBLE CHECK COMPONENT HEIGHTS/WIDTHS so you don't end up ordering things that won't fit!

Exactly. I use repair experiences to guide me in determining what to avoid when *designing* stuff.

Reply to
D Yuniskis