Fluke 335 Clamp Meter Not Zeroing

I bought a used Fluke 335 clamp meter and it seems to work ok on the voltag e ranges, but on the AC current range it doesn't zero. It reads about 0.2 amps. I thought they used a type of ADC in meters that always zeroed prope rly. I'm guessing the clamp meter requires a bit more electronics up front

t seems odd.

Is this normal? Should I keep this meter to send it back as defective?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

that's normal for that type Simply remove .2 from what ever reading you take.

that is a 600 AMP range unit and .2 amps is nothing for the offset.

if you are trying to meaure much smaller currents then you got the wrong style..

They do make smaller clamp ons but even those may have a zero issue.

get a low range type for small currents.

I have collection of amp clamp devices, some that plug directly into the scope and can measure up to 25K Hz and those you can zero..

Some clamp meters do have a zero function, this one looks like it does not but like I said, its too large of a unit in range for talking small readings.

Reply to
M Philbrook

ltage ranges, but on the AC current range it doesn't zero. It reads about

0.2 amps. I thought they used a type of ADC in meters that always zeroed p roperly. I'm guessing the clamp meter requires a bit more electronics up f

ut it seems odd.

Yes, I realize this is a small error for a 600 amp range. I was asking if this is normal and you say it is. If it wasn't for most meters zeroing nea rly perfectly, I wouldn't have asked.

I assume this offset is from something in the front end that converts the m agnetic field to an internal voltage?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

most likely it floats around a bit.. One day it may read 0.0

also when you have the jaws within area that may have mag fields moving around you'll get a reading.

The fluke most likely has a pot inside to calibrate it.

if you really want exact readings you need to do inline testing.

Reply to
M Philbrook

e voltage ranges, but on the AC current range it doesn't zero. It reads ab out 0.2 amps. I thought they used a type of ADC in meters that always zero ed properly. I'm guessing the clamp meter requires a bit more electronics

s, but it seems odd.

ive?

ong

ll

if this is normal and you say it is. If it wasn't for most meters zeroing nearly perfectly, I wouldn't have asked.

he magnetic field to an internal voltage?

My concern is not that this is important to me. My concern is determing th at the meter is working properly while I can still return it.

Since this seems to be normal on the current scale (even though voltage sca les virtually never show this effect) I'm just wonder what the difference i n circuitry it.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit