CRT Monitor Problem

Hi,

About a week ago my 19" CRT started displaying an extremely distorted picture. It intermittently goes into a state where the picture is broken up into fuzzy lines (I can't describe it well) and the slightest tap on the case could cause it to return to normal (temporarily) or get worse.

I've checked for any broken video connections inside or outside, but there are none. What's weird is that I ran the monitor with the plastic case off and the problem disappears. But as soon as I put the case back on the slightest movement or tap near it makes the picture go crazy again.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be? Could the case be causing some sort of interference?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Reply to
lulugrant_is_a_dog

Contact problem affecting the sync-signals. May be in the external connector or in some internal ones.

Probably removing the case puts the problematic connection under different mechanical stress than when it is on. This often improves contact conditions.

No. This is very typical for a broken solder point or a marginal connector. This is also very hard to find. Fix is easy once you know here the problem is. If is a connector, you may want to remove and reseat every connector you can get at. Be careful that the CRT may remain charged up to some hours after it has been disconnected from power.

Arno

Reply to
Arno Wagner

Thanks for the quick reply. I did look to see if there would be any obvious stress from the case being on, but you're right it is probably going to be hard to find and somewhere *not* obvious.

Reply to
lulugrant_is_a_dog

You now have to decide whether you want to systematically resolder "all" the joints, rather than trying to find the specific bad connection.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

An other alternative is to put the case back on, but with something inside the case that "bends" the guts slightly and see how long that "fix" works - maybe.

Reply to
hrhofmann

These sorts of problems are actually pretty easy to track down most of the time. Find yourself an insulated stick of some sort, my favorite is the plastic rod from a set of window blinds but I've used wooden dowels, plastic pen bodies, etc. Remove the cover from the monitor, power it up, and start gently poking and tapping areas of the board until you find the ticklish spot, and then flip the board over and inspect carefully for cracked solder joints.

Reply to
James Sweet

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:37:26 -0800 (PST), lulugrant_is_a snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

Tap test the open monitor with an insulated rod. That may narrow down the location of a dry soldered joint.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

If you are tapping on the monitor case to have a temporary repair, this means that there is a cold solder connection somewhere in the monitor. More than likely it could be on the main circuit board, one of the daughter boards, or a connector.

The monitor would have to be un-assembled, and jigged up so that it can be worked on. The process of slightly flexing boards and connections can be done to try to zero in on where the fault is. Once found, then the connection can be re-soldered. This can be very time consuming work.

Working on a monitor requires good electronics experience, a sound knowledge of monitors, and troubleshooting skills. There are many safety issues involved. I would suggest you take the monitor to a service centre and have an estimate done in order for you to make a logical decision if it is worth to service or not.

--

JANA
_____