Computer

My computer has slowed down badly. I am using XP home. I defragged, cleaned the harddisk and the register. No success. What else can I do? snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
chb581

Maybe your processor is to hot and going into safety mode?

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

Have you run an anti-virus and anti-spyware ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

First run

Then when finished run JKDefrag. Or use hitman pro instead of housecall. If problems persist check for bulged capacitors, problematic fans and jumpers (i have seen dvd writers act up due to a corrupted ide driver resulting in a very slow system). Good luck

Cheetah

Reply to
CheetahHugger

go to "run" and enter "msconfig" click on the "start" tab uncheck the boxes that are next to applications that you do need to open. For example, PDF readers, photo s/w, office suites. You should only open those when you want to use them. Make sure to click apply and then OK. Reboot the system. When you get the message that the menu has changed tell it not to remind you.

You may want to check the amount of RAM installed and upgrade that.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Make sure you don't have a bunch of spyware processes running in the background. Search

for spyware removal tools and read how to check your system. I'm not up on the newest tools because I run linux and don't need them but I know they show up on google.

Reply to
Meat Plow