URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

I was watching a youtube video when I realized that my ac/dc adapter was un
plugged from the wall and grounding unit. I plugged it back in and my lapto
pl froze then made a loud buzzing sound. I imeditaly turned it off and on,
there were 0 probelms. Then, when I made sure that my power cord was workin
g, I plugged it in and nothing. When I remove it, the screen flashes black
for about 1/5 of a second this is only external. I don't know if my adapter
 has been fried or the power component in my laptop has been. I am rushing
this post because I only have 17% left on my latptop and this is the only d
evice I have. I am backing up everything and I also ran power diagnostics.
Please, if you have any information on how to check if one is broken or the
 other, respond immeditally. Sorry for the bad post, but time is limited. T
omorrow, I am going to try and build a charger (usb) for it with some extre
mely low output batteries and capacitors 130maH in total.
yes, I am on it now for those of you who are "slow".

//I had it plugged in during the test, but no charge.
Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report
Computer Name
LAPTOP-TEK9BJPL
Scan Time
2018-05-11T03:28:50Z
Scan Duration
60 seconds
System Manufacturer
LENOVO
System Product Name
80S6
BIOS Date
01/23/2016
BIOS Version
0YCN13WW
OS Build
14393
Platform Role
PlatformRoleMobile
Plugged In
false
Process Count
102
Thread Count
1187
Report GUID

Analysis Results
Errors
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (On Battery)
The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is o
n battery power.
Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (On Battery)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of ina
ctivity.
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (On Battery)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is
 not configured to use low-power modes.
Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (On Battery)
The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASP
M) is configured to Off.
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality is High Performance (Plugged In)
The current power plan personality is High Performance when the system is p
lugged in.
Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of ina
ctivity.
Power Policy:Minimum processor performance state is 100% (Plugged In)
The processor is not configured to automatically reduce power consumption b
ased on activity.
Power Policy:PCI Express ASPM is disabled (Plugged In)
The current power policy for PCI Express Active State Power Management (ASP
M) is configured to Off.
System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The program has made a request to prevent the system from automatically ent
ering sleep.
Requesting Process
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\explorer.exe
System Availability Requests:Execution Required Request
The program has made a request for execution-required.
Requesting Process
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\explorer.exe
System Availability Requests:System Required Request
The program has made a request to prevent the system from automatically ent
ering sleep.
Requesting Process
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe
System Availability Requests:Execution Required Request
The program has made a request for execution-required.
Requesting Process
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dllhost.exe
USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Selective Suspend
This device did not enter the USB Selective Suspend state. Processor power
management may be prevented when this USB device is not in the Selective Su
spend state. Note that this issue will not prevent the system from sleeping
.
Device Name
USB Mass Storage Device
Host Controller ID
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_22B5
Host Controller Location
PCI bus 0, device 20, function 0
Device ID
USB\VID_0781&PID_5581
Port Path
8
CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system wil
l consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Re
view processor utilization for individual processes to determine which appl
ications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%)
42.47
Device Drivers:
Devices with missing or misconfigured drivers can increase power consumptio
n.
Device Name
Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter
Device ID
\VWIFIMP_SAP&EDF71E6&0&13
Device Status
0x1802400
Device Problem Code
0x16
Warnings
Power Policy:Display timeout is long (On Battery)
The display is configured to turn off after longer than 5 minutes.
Timeout (seconds)
600
Power Policy:Dim timeout is long (On Battery)
The display is configured to automatically dim after longer than 5 minutes.
Timeout (seconds)
585
Power Policy:Display timeout is long (Plugged In)
The display is configured to turn off after longer than 10 minutes.
Timeout (seconds)
900
Power Policy:Dim timeout is long (Plugged In)
The display is configured to automatically dim after longer than 10 minutes
.
Timeout (seconds)
885
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
MsMpEng.exe
PID
2732
Average Utilization (%)
11.34
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition U
pdates\\mpengine.dll
8.27
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
1.40
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
0.82
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
explorer.exe
PID
3732
Average Utilization (%)
7.50
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
2.66
\SystemRoot\System32\win32kbase.sys
0.88
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
0.80
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
dllhost.exe
PID
7036
Average Utilization (%)
6.19
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
3.49
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
0.45
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\windows.storage.dll
0.38
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
System
PID
4
Average Utilization (%)
3.49
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
2.70
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64lp.sys
0.48
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgmms2.sys
0.13
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
MemCompression
PID
3036
Average Utilization (%)
3.31
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
3.27
\SystemRoot\system32\hal.dll
0.00
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64lp.sys
0.00
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
dwm.exe
PID
1012
Average Utilization (%)
2.06
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll
0.49
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
0.40
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\igd10iumd64.dll
0.15
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
1172
Average Utilization (%)
1.79
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application.0.
3359.170\chrome_child.dll
1.69
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
0.04
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
0.03
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
2940
Average Utilization (%)
0.98
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application.0.
3359.170\chrome.dll
0.57
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
0.14
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
0.14
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
SynTPEnh.exe
PID
4860
Average Utilization (%)
0.48
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
0.12
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\SynCOM.dll
0.09
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\ntdll.dll
0.07
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
4916
Average Utilization (%)
0.44
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
0.08
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application.0.
3359.170\chrome_child.dll
0.07
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application.0.
3359.170\libglesv2.dll
0.06
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
6616
Average Utilization (%)
0.42
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application.0.
3359.170\chrome_child.dll
0.26

0.08
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
0.03
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
chrome.exe
PID
6752
Average Utilization (%)
0.31
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\Device\HarddiskVolume4\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application.0.
3359.170\chrome_child.dll
0.19
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
0.04

0.03
CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processo
r utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Name
csrss.exe
PID
624
Average Utilization (%)
0.27
Module
Average Module Utilization (%)
\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
0.12
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64lp.sys
0.05
\SystemRoot\System32\win32kfull.sys
0.03
Information
Platform Timer Resolution:Platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be
used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, pro
cessor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolu
tion may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units)
156260
Power Policy:Active Power Plan
The current power plan in use
Plan Name
OEM High Performance
Plan GUID

Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (On Battery)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is on battery pow
er.
Personality
High Performance
Power Policy:Video Quality (On Battery)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when
playing video.
Quality Mode
Optimize for Video Quality
Power Policy:Power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
Personality
High Performance
Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is
 not configured to use low-power modes.
Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when
playing video.
Quality Mode
Optimize for Video Quality
Battery:Battery Information

Battery ID
123456789Intel SR 1Harris Beach
Manufacturer
Intel SR 1
Serial Number
123456789
Chemistry
LION
Long Term
1
Sealed
0
Cycle Count
202
Design Capacity
45710
Last Full Charge
38400
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of
inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platf
orms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory cont
ents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms s
upport the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep Supported
false
S2 Sleep Supported
false
S3 Sleep Supported
true
S4 Sleep Supported
true
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Connected Standby Support
Connected standby allows the computer to enter a low-power mode in which it
 is always on and connected. If supported, connected standby is used instea
d of system sleep states.
Connected Standby Supported
false
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Adaptive Display Brightness is suppo
rted.
This computer enables Windows to automatically control the brightness of th
e integrated display.
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilit
ies
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically
balance performance and energy consumption.
Group
0
0
Idle State Count
3
Idle State Type
ACPI Idle (C) States
Nominal Frequency (MHz)
1601
Maximum Performance Percentage
100
Lowest Performance Percentage
29
Lowest Throttle Percentage
3
Performance Controls Type
ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States
Platform Power Management Capabilities:Processor Power Management Capabilit
ies
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically
balance performance and energy consumption.
Group
0
1
Idle State Count
3
Idle State Type
ACPI Idle (C) States
Nominal Frequency (MHz)
1601
Maximum Performance Percentage
100
Lowest Performance Percentage
29
Lowest Throttle Percentage
3
Performance Controls Type
ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States

Re: URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

[...]

a multimteter will tell you what's coming out of the psu.
junk snipped

Re: URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

It's hard to get a connection to the interface between the PS
and the computer when it's plugged in.
Measuring the PS unloaded can tell you if it's dead, but not
much else.

[...]

It's the first thing I'd do. What's the first thing you'd do?

NT

Re: URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Probably the first thing I would do also.

With some of the multimeters less than $ 10 everyhone should have one
and have a basic idea of how to do simple measurments.

While it would not tell if the power supply is working, it will tell if
it is totally dead or maybe if the voltage is way too high or low.

An ohm check across the primary of the supply could tell if it was bad,
but with the moden supplies it may not.

Some of the switching supplies may not show a voltage if not under load,
but still that is where I would start.

"Ralph Mowery"  wrote in message

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Probably the first thing I would do also.

With some of the multimeters less than $ 10 everyhone should have one
and have a basic idea of how to do simple measurments.

While it would not tell if the power supply is working, it will tell if
it is totally dead or maybe if the voltage is way too high or low.

An ohm check across the primary of the supply could tell if it was bad,
but with the moden supplies it may not.

Some of the switching supplies may not show a voltage if not under load,
but still that is where I would start.

**********************************

I read this occasionally, but I have never come across an SMPS that will not
run without a load.

I have come across some that show overvoltage with no load, however.

Gareth.

Re: URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop

If they latch into a shutdown mode from overvoltage they won't. Actually though in practice the output filter stays charged for quite some time so you have an indication that it DID run. (unless it crowbars the output)

wrote in message

If they latch into a shutdown mode from overvoltage they won't. Actually
though in practice the output filter stays charged for quite some time so
you have an indication that it DID run. (unless it crowbars the output)

***********************

I get that.

I still have experience of SMPS that DO produce overvoltage with no load,
but are fine when connected.

Gareth.

Re: URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop
On Fri, 11 May 2018 18:39:53 +0100, "Gareth Magennis"

Don't most PC power supplies stay off until that one pin is grounded
on the 24 pin motherboard connector?  True that isn't exactly what you
were talking about, but it might give a novice the impression the
supply won't start without a load becasue unplugging the load shuts
down the supply.

Re: URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop
That's the first thing I'd do too.
BUT
If it measured the correct voltage, I'd put a load on it
and look at it with a scope.
This is FAR EASIER than taking the laptop apart, only to find
that the AC adapter was bad all along...and you broke a bunch
of the plastic snaps trying to pry it apart.
Been there, done that.

Make DARN sure the power supply is good before disassembling
a laptop.

In ANY diagnostic situation, you start asking questions to determine
the diagnostic tree.  For each question, ask yourself, "What am I
gonna do with the answer once I have it?"  If you can't do anything
with the answer, it doesn't help to ask the question.  You can lop
off whole branches of your diagnostic tree.  If your lack of test
equipment lops off ALL the branches, you're dead in the water.
Fixing it will be a matter of luck.

In this case, if you can't load the power supply and look at it with
a scope, you have two options.
1) output voltage is not correct on the multimeter.>> laptop ac supply
is probably defective.
2) no load output voltage is correct...and you don't have a scope>> you
probably shouldn't be taking the laptop apart until you have more info
or a known-good power supply.

"my laptopl froze then made a loud buzzing sound" is NOT a good symptom
That it didn't buzz next time suggests like the power supply is defective
and it blew a fuse or something inside the laptop.
Or that a static zap killed it when it was plugged in.
OR...OR...
In that case, trying a good power supply may not fix it.
And if you fix the inside problem and plug in the bad supply,
you may break it again.
Been there done that.

Re: URGENT broken adapter or broken latptop
I don't know if you have any repair resources near you.

I'll tell my story.

I had a laptop with a bad power jack.  I went on youtube and watched videos on how to disassemble this brand of laptop.  It's a daunting task, they aren't made to come apart easily, and that power jack is very vulnerable.

And then, before I did it, I took the laptop to Staples to their "free diagnosis" desk.  They connected it to a universal power supply, one of those that comes with several connector pins.  Surprise, it booted right up and charged fine.

Even though everybody I talked to was sure it was the laptop, the power supply was the actual problem.  All I had to do was buy the new supply.

Site Timeline