Coleman Powermate 400 Watt Power Inverter PMP400

I have a "Coleman Powermate 400 Watt Power Inverter," model PMP400, like the one seen at

. Its fan looks like a typical laptop computer fan. When I try using it, it doesn't work at all - until I direct a brisk puff of air into the fan, to get it rotating.

I'd like to fix it, if it isn't too much trouble. Any suggestions?

--
Marshall Price of Miami
Known to Yahoo as d021317c

Could be a bit stiff in the bearings or not quite enough voltage to get it started. The fan in my inverter (not quite the same) spins at quite a lick. But your right it probably is a standard 12 volt fan. In my inverter it goes directly across the battery on the inverter side of the power switch.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Marshall Price wrote in news:M_KdnZcMQpQXnI_UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

It's bearings are probably worn out. pull fan,check for make and model numbers,Google for specs,if not already listed on fan. Then find new replacement.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Open unit. Temporarily remove fan(s). Blow out any dust and dirt with canned air. Carefully remove the paper or foil label covering the center hub of the fan. Under the label, you may find a rubber plug. Carefully remove the rubber plug. You'll see the shaft and "bearing" (actually a bushing). Dump a few drops of 10wt machine oil into the bushing. Replace the rubber plug. Wipe off any oil you slopped over the center hub with alcohol so the label glue will stick. Replace the paper or foil label. Grab the fan blades and "pump" the rotor in and out to scrape loose any solidified goo on the shaft. Make sure the fan spins freely. If so, you win. Reinstall.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Pull the fan, remove the label to expose the shaft retainer, Pull the retainer usually a poly washer, lube the shaft with a little white lithium and reassemble.

Reply to
Meat Plow