Chicago, IL West Suburbs Hitachi Big Screen Repair

Looking for a recommendation for a TV repair person (someone who can diagnose and not just a serviceable module replacer) located in the Far West Chicago suburbs who does quality work to look at my 12-year old Hitachi

50" Ultravision (50UX15K - AP33 Chassis). Seems the protection circuit is activating upon power up. Set worked perfectly since it was new with the exception of a defective power relay which I replaced about 5 years back.

The set automatically shuts down about 1-2 seconds after turning it on and prevents trying to turn it on again unless the AC power is disconnected for a few seconds and the circuit gets reset. (Done this twice to confirm the issue.) I've had a quick look and don't see any obvious fried components and there is no observable arcing with the lights out when this occurs. I suspect a HV issue, possibly one of the 3 CRT guns, although a less likely possibility is the protection circuitry itself..

If anyone has anyone they can recommend, you can send email or post here. Thanks in advance as we would like to keep the set if possible.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

12 years old? Time for a technology refresh.
Reply to
Travis Jordan

Why downgrade, unless he absolutely has to?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

The Hitachi was very well made and has a very nice oak cabinet. Quality parts and workmanship on the PC boards. It has been pretty much flawless and still has the same ultrasharp picture as the day it was brand new. Why would I just go and replace it before I know the cost to repair it? This is certainly not the advice I expected from an electronics repair newsgroup where many of the posters make a living from repairing sets like these.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

If you can wait a day, I've written a friend who has a shop in your area and is an outstanding tech. You have a great product but, they do require experience knowing how to isolate which shutdown circuit is at fault. You have around 5 or 6 on that chassis. I didn't want to post his info in the open with out his permission. I'd love to work on it but, being in south Texas, it'd be a helluva service call. If you don't find someone, I'll let you know tomorrow.

Tech Data

Unfortunately we did not wait and had a serviceman out earlier today. He took the power supply/HV board and said it needed to be diagnosed on the bench since the module is no longer available. He seemed to know his stuff so hope the unit comes back with Electrolytics all replaced. Thanks for the offer of help though... The family is lost without the Hitachi TV.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Well, as long as the end result is the same is all that matters. Not sure how he's going to jig the chassis for shutdown but, hopefully it all works out. Good luck.

Tech Data

Bob -

Better Radio and TV here in Elmhurst, IL (in phone book) works on a number of the larger TV sets. Get referrals form a number of resellers.

Management is changing (June 1) - George is retiring after 40 years in business - but he is still there through transition.

g. beat

Reply to
g. beat

Thanks. The wife wanted it fixed so we used the Yellow Pages and found a local Naperville outfit to use. They came right away (two days ago), ran some tests, then took the PSU board to refurbish it since new PC modules are no longer in stock. Hope to get it back later today.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman