CHarge vs use battery

How do you use diodes and capapcitors to switch a 4v power supply so it continuously charges a battery when not being used.

I have an hp2621a terminal which had a battery to keep nonvolatile settings (eg baud rate, parity &c). I want a chargeable battery to keep those settings going but to charge when I have the machine on.

Decades ago someone posted how to have a bike generator charge a capcitor so that when you brake, you can power a back red light.

Reply to
vjp2.at

The issue that comes to mind is whether a/the power-supply would cause problems if connected to the terminal with or without the battery. If not, would an appropriate Zener diode do the trick?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

In snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com by Peter W. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Fri, 17 Mar 2023 10:23:27 we perused:

*+-> I have an hp2621a terminal which had a battery to keep nonvolatile settings *+-> (eg baud rate, parity &c). I want a chargeable battery to keep those settings *+-> going but to charge when I have the machine on.

*+-The issue that comes to mind is whether a/the power-supply would cause problems if connected to the terminal with or without the battery. If not, would an appropriate Zener diode do the trick?

Thanks..

THough I also realise I could get two batteries, use one, charge the other..

But I suspect it will not fit exactly so I need to solder it

Reply to
vjp2.at

Just another point, although it is basic- Be extremely careful when you do solder! HEAT from any source including soldering can create adverse conditions or effects. If you have multiple batteries, gang them in a wrap with the contact points exposed at either end (if the batteries are stacked) in order to minimize the points at which you solder. Also, solder momentarily in a relative sense. That way, you minimize contact time, still perform the task, and get an effective connection that will adhere in the process. Whatever you do, be extremely aware and be very careful. There is some risk involved in doing this and wear eye protection.

Best wishes.

Charles Lucas

Reply to
Charles Lucas

First, you must specify what type of battery chemistry we are talking about. But I can't imagine doing it with just diodes and capacitors.

Depending on your specific application, a super capacitor might be an option?

Reply to
HW