Battery Specification

Hi all,

I just took out a dead Panasonic lead acid battery form my UPS and trying to understand the specifications written on it

Voltage Regulation Cycle use : 14.5 - 14.9V Initial current : less than 2.8A Standby use : 13.6 - 13.8V

Will anybody please explain it?

TIA

Reply to
Jack// ani

Thanks Lord. BTW this battery is sealed form every where( as I can see), so where does the Hydrogen escapes??

Reply to
Jack// ani

--
How about Panasonic?

First, go to:

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/battery/oem/chem/seal/index.html

and then click on:

VRLA Charge Methods
Reply to
John Fields

That's a bit high for standard gel cels. They usually want 14.4V.

Correct. A fully depleated battery can draw a lot of current if you allow it to.

Correct. The basic 3 stage charging algorithm for lead acid batteries are:

1) Bulk charge with highest allowable voltage and current until battery reaches 2.4V/cell (14.4V for a 12V battery). 2) You then fix the voltage to 14.4V and start watching the current. Continue in this phase until the current draw drops to C/100, where C is the Amp-Hour capacity of the batter. So for example with my 33 AHr battery, C/100 would be 330 mA.

3) Then go into float/trickle/top off voltage discussed below.

This voltage is safe indefinitely without venting.

If a sealed lead acid gel cell is venting, then you have big problems. It's one of the reasons why the specifications listed on the battery are in place.

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff

When you charge the battery, limit the applied voltage to between 14.5 and

14.9 volts DC and limit the current to no more than 2.8 Amperes. As the battery charges, the current will fall. If you wish to 'top off' the battery or trickle charge it, keep the applied voltage between 13.6 and 13.8 volts DC.

Beware that hydrogen gas forms during charging so vent the area.

Reply to
Lord Garth

There is likely a hidden vent that opens if the pressure gets too high. If that happens, I'd guess the electrolyte would either leak or evaporate. That's pretty standard for a *sealed* battery.

Reply to
Lord Garth

Thaks all. A little doubt left..... is there any relation between maximum charging current and ampere-hour rating of the battery?

Like maximum charging current above was 40% of the AH rating!

Thanks again

Reply to
Jack// ani

Depends on the battery. For most flooded lead-acid batteries, a maximum charge rate of 1/5 of the AH rating is generally suggested. Some gel and AGM batteries can be charged at higher rates.

--
Peter Bennett VE7CEI
email: peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca