CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out

I have a Harbor Freight Cen-Tech Battery charger SKU 60653.  I was attempti
ng to charge my riding mower battery when it fried.  I inspected the inside
s and found that the thermal fuse was melted and a relay had burned out.

I replaced the relay with the same Songle Relay SRU-06VDC-SL-C type.  The t
hermal fuse was different.  I used a 50A Auto Automatic Reset Stud Type Cir
cuit Breaker for the thermal fuse.

When I plugged it in and attached it to my mower battery it lite up and see
med to be in a cycle of charging.  I had it set to 2 amps. I assumed by the
 noise it was making, buzzing followed by silence.  Only thing was the anal
og meter wasn't moving, it was stuck at 100%.  After a few cycles it popped
 and started smoking.  The SRU-06VDC-SL-C relay went out in the same spot t
he original did.  There is a metal leg? in between 2 others and this contin
ues to blow out.  I resoldered a 3rd one and it blew the same spot.

Can anyone suggest what I should be test/measuring and why the relay keeps
going out?  I'm not giving up on the charger just yet.

I didn't test any of the diodes.  Not sure how yet.

Thanks.

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out
Your problem started with "Harbor Freight".  Purchase a charger from a legitimate source made by a legitimate manufacturer, rated for the intended purpose and you will be fine.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out

I buy stuff from Harbor Freight,and when it works, it works
well, but I certainly don't waste my time trying to fix it
when it dies.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-in-linesman-pliers-63820.html

Or:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SBD6/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park,  PA

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out

I'm happy to know you wouldn't waste time on this.  But you will waste time by not providing anything useful.  Now go troll someone else. Idi0t.

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out

I'm not the one that is trying to fix something with ZERO
service documentation.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
No but you're also not helping anyone.  You're just providing garbage.  Move on.  Troll some other post.

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out

I didn't ask for an idi0t opinion.  Looking for people willing to provide helpful information about this charger.

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out
It is helpful information you want?

a) Trash the HF charger. Clearly you are not competent to fix it, as they a
re fundamentally simple beasts with only a few failure modes - Mike pointed
 that out.
b) Purchase a proper charger from a reasonable source. Amazon has any numbe
r of options, just not at $29.99.
c) Read the directions. Carefully. And pay attention to the pretty pictures
 as only about 35% of Americans can understand written-only directions.

That is helpful information.

Now, try to understand something: The typical car battery contains about as
 much energy as it takes to operate 6.5 100-watt incandescent lamps for abo
ut an hour - at which point, it will be flat,. and probably damaged. Howeve
r, it can release as much or more than 7.2 KW (that would be kilowatts) for
 a few seconds - what it does when it starts a car. That is a LOT of energy
. A poorly designed charger puts *you* in danger, as well as the charger. R
epeat, a car battery contains a great deal of energy stored in a fast-relea
se system that also happens to use some nasty chemicals. A small portion of
 that power damaged your old charger - and given your general understanding
 of the process, it is dubious that any repairs effected by you would be sa
fe for you or those around you.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

[...]

Oh my, now you're worried for my safety?  Pffft please.  Move on already.
You've not mentioned one thing about what to look for on the charger.  You'
re just rambling on while you eat you're fifth doughnut.  Byeee.

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out

Oh no! If you wish to compete for a Darwin Award, far be it from me to get in your way. I worry after the innocents as may get caught in the crossfire. Likely few in your case, however.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out
Thanks so much for the advise regarding the charger lil buddy!  Look at that, five posts and all so so helpful.  You have a little doughnut on your face.

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out

You haven't figured it out yet have you.
There won't be any help forthcoming because there isn't any
service data available.

We've tried to explain this to you.

So have fun flailing around with your multi-meter and relays.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
I get it.  You don't have the answers.  You don't have any experience with
this type of charger.  I'm reaching out to those who have had their hands i
n one one of these or someone who can guide me to anything like Terrell did
 earlier.  You really shouldn't be posting if you're not going to provide a
ny useful info.  You should "view" and move on.  You don't have to spout yo
ur garbage just because you can sweet heart.  K?

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out

Oh look at the man baby pounding on his keyboard in frustration
because nobody will fix his cheap, non-supported piece of shit
from Harbor Freight.

Here's a clue for you cupcake, I've fixed shit like this before,
just because I can. But right now, I wouldn't even piss on you if
you were on fire.

So go fuck yourself.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Do note that the OP is a google grouper.

That should help explain his privledged attitude that he should be
given free of charge help exactly as he wishes it to be given and
nothing else.

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out
ful info.

Well, I checked the group requirements and... I didn't see a chart for leve
ls of privilege lil maid.  Just a guy who happens to have a dead charger wa
nting to see if he can bring it back to life.  Instead of help I get the fi
rst few jerks who happen to view my post.  All they did was waste time, whi
ch i really have plenty of.  "That product is garbage!" "You don't know wha
t you're doing!"  Hear them roar. lol.  I have never felt so alive! Weeeee.

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out
Proof that you do not know what you are doing:
a) There are roughly four (4) lead-acid battery charger circuits. There are any number of variations, but on basic themes.
       i.  This does not count the computerized Arduino-based systems. Just what is available OTC at your local auto-parts store.
       ii. This does not count charger-starters, or those items with a built-in jump-starter.
b) Two of which are smart. Two of which are pretty basic, but effective.
       i.  Differences between each are a matter of scale, not so much circuitry.
       ii. And, heavier chargers will need heavier circuits. Obviously. And why Harbor-Freight is not a good place to start, pretty much with anything.
c) Five minutes, or less, of internet manipulation would have made you aware of all of these things. And even have given you a head-start on diagnosis.
d) Suggesting that you are not very savvy in the first place. Subsequent events have borne that out.

So, we have established that you are looking for a magic bullet: Do *THIS ONE THING* and all will be well.
We have established that you have no concern as to quality-of-parts or for the source of those parts: You purchased relays in bulk and for cheap from eBay.
We have established that you are in that habit as well: dubious quality purchased as cheaply as possible.
We have established that your time is worth nothing to you. And by extension, nor is anyone else's time.
We have even tried to help - by suggesting that you not continue down a futile path attempting to resurrect a piece of junk, but to replace it with one more suitable to *your* purposes.
We even suggested that there is some risk attached to your process.

At this point, just go for it!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out
re any number of variations, but on basic themes.
is available OTC at your local auto-parts store.
jump-starter.

Harbor-Freight is not a good place to start, pretty much with anything.
are of all of these things. And even have given you a head-start on diagnos
is.
events have borne that out.
 ONE THING* and all will be well.
r the source of those parts: You purchased relays in bulk and for cheap fro
m eBay.
urchased as cheaply as possible.
ion, nor is anyone else's time.
utile path attempting to resurrect a piece of junk, but to replace it with
one more suitable to *your* purposes.

Peter peter.. what are you REALLY saying here?  It sounds like, "Look at me
 I'm schmart and you're not."  Why do you think I took to the internet and
ask what I should be looking for?  Instead I get morons like you.  Pretendi
ng to care about my health.  In reality you just wanted to wave your old-ma
n cane in the air.

This is what I would have done as "Nice-Pete".

"Hey bud, I see you are looking at repairing a harbor Freight battery charg
er.  In my experience the chargers will fail even if repaired and cost more
 money down the line.  They can be repurposed for other things since they h
ave such a large transformer in them but that's about it.  If you are still
 seeking to repair it..  try these websites that offer insight into basic c
ircuitry that can point you in the right directly.  It's helped me in the p
ast.  Hope you have fun and be careful."

Instead I got a nosey prick with nothing better to do than to belittle some
one else with less experience.  Awww.  Peter-weter. No no.  Bad Petey.  I'm
 already getting good info on other forums.  Now go away.

Re: CEN-TECH 10/2/50A 12v Manual Charger Burned out
On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 1:26:41 PM UTC-4, Edward Hernandez whined:
  In reality you just wanted to wave your old-man cane in the air.
rger.  In my experience the chargers will fail even if repaired and cost mo
re money down the line.  They can be repurposed for other things since they
 have such a large transformer in them but that's about it.  If you are sti
ll seeking to repair it..  try these websites that offer insight into basic
 circuitry that can point you in the right directly.  It's helped me in the
 past.  Hope you have fun and be careful."
meone else with less experience.  Awww.  Peter-weter. No no.  Bad Petey.  I
'm already getting good info on other forums.  Now go away.

At least you admit that Peter's original advice was sound, even if he didn'
t package it with the crayons and puppies you clearly need.

Site Timeline