CD question

Hi!

Sitting not three feet away from me is a Kyocera DA-610 player. In its day it was high end--gold plated connectors and very good build quality throughout. Made sometime in 1985...it still plays well today although the odd disc or track sometimes won't play without a bit of encouragement (usually cycling the tray or going back to another track).

I wondered about that. A number of older players that I have will attempt to play a CD-RW with varying degrees of success. Some of them are even temperature sensitive! The oldest player I presently have that can play CD-RW discs reliably all of the time is a very early Philips/LMS 1X CD-ROM that came with a PC soundcard. It still amazes me that it can do so, but it does.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Thanks for the info, Dave. Do you know of any similar programs that work on DVDs?

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Thanks, Geoff.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Nothing terribly specific, I'm afraid. The closest thing I can think of (again, for Linux or *BSD or Unix) is the GNU "ddrescue" data recovery tool.

Ripping damaged DVDs and transferring their contents to DVD-R is going to be made extra-tricky by the presence of encryption. If the data is simply burned to DVD-R, it'll be unplayable. In order to actually recover a commercial DVD to playability you'll have to use software which figures out the encryption coding and removes it... and doing so is a likely violation of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (which sits right behind "no jaywalking" as one of the most frequently scoffed-at laws in the U.S.)

Dave Platt

All the flavors of linux I've used and use have libs for CSS decryption. Problem is there are several different additional copyright protection schemes that can be and are used. However CSS is the first that needs to go just to even read the disc.

And by the wat it's just as much of a criminal activity to rip a CD.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I have an OLD Technics CD player circa 1985 that will play a factory CD even if you dipped it in mud but under no circumstances will it play any CDR.

CDROM for a PC has always been a different beast.

Reply to
Meat Plow

DVDFab

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

Thanks Geoff, I'll give it a try.

-- W . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because \\|/ \\|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est

Bob Larter