Cause of lines in TFT display?

Well, since you both are saying the same thing: "Special equipment required" what's the problem?

Reply to
PeterD

Hell, you can do pretty much anything with the right equipment. Whether it's economical or not is a whole different story. ;^)

In this case, if tweaking the connectors doesn't work, he's pretty much SOL, unfortunately.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

I spent about 5 years fixing laptops for a living, & teaching other techs how to fix them. I've never yet seen a case when it's been cheaper to fix a buggered[0] LCD panel than to replace the panel.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that it's not economical to do so in any reasonably equipped workshop.

[0] ie; Either H-drive or V-drive dead spots that weren't bad connections.
   \|/  \|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Yes, exactly.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

It is, when they ship thousands of refurbished cell phones per week. For a one off, no, it isn't worth trying.

He can take a chance on a dead, 'for parts on' ebay find of the same model.

Michael A. Terrell

Yawn. It is a matter of scale, which is something that someone with a small mind will never understand.

Michael A. Terrell

A quick look at his posts in the Google Groups archives shows that you're right.

Michael A. Terrell

sed

Huh? There's no contradiction here, why would anyone be lying?

Manufacturers and their repair depots will be able to do a repair/ rebuild, of those models they have contracted to support, during a warranty period.

Meanwhile, local repair shops have to find an exact compatible replacement part (which, given that the originals were only sold in thousands to OEM clients, and that current models are different in logical layout and mechanical features, means the ONLY market they can shop in is the used-parts one).

Somewhere inbetween, the OEM clients can optionally pay for service at the manufacturers' depot, for out-of-warranty units. If you have a four-year-old Apple LCD that has failed, it's likely Apple can get it fixed. No one else can. If it's six years old, Apple can't get it fixed.

See, there's four parties involved: LCD manufacturer (Samsung), OEM user (Apple), local repair shop (Laptops R Us), and user. User can get attention only from Apple or LRU. LRU can get attention from Apple, but has no way to get services from Samsung. Samsung wants new-LCD sales, only grudgingly agreed to support Apple for the term of their warranty to get the contract. That agreement times out with the last extended-warranty on the last sold computer using the 1999 display model (OK, maybe it was built 2000 from the

1999 shipment of displays, sold late 2000/early 2001; you still lose the repair option at about 5 years).

Don't ask me how I know this...

Reply to
whit3rd

Yep. If it were me, I'd either look for a dead laptop of the same type with a good screen, or toss it & upgrade to a new laptop. It may be possible to find a refurb panel, but it's probably not worth the hassle.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Sometimes... Sometimes... you can run your thumbnail across the place where the cable overlaps the glass and cause a reconnect.

Sometimes... you can shim the area to apply more force to the bad area.

Whaddayagottolose?

Reply to
mike

Over the last few years, LCDs have finally started to become somewhat standardized. I've been able to substitute different makes and models of laptop LCDs fairly indiscriminately. Even different resolution LCDs are usually interchangeable (except for IBMs which require replacing, or modifying the video cable).

The thickness, and screw hole locations are fairly standardized. The electrical signals are also usually the same, but there are a few different types of connectors in use. Also, the location of the connector can vary.

I've found that 9 times out of 10, if the physical dimensions of the LCD, and video connectors are the same, the sub will work fine. I'm currently using an IBM with a screen that came from a Dell. The new screen is a Samsung, and I think the old one was an LG. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

Interesting. It's been some years since I last fixed laptops for a living, & things have obviously improved in that time. ;^)

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

True.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

I experienced a similar problem with my PB 17 G4. I suspected the ribbon connector, or the hinge. In order to stabilize the image on the display I had to physically hold the displat at a particular angle. If I so much as changed the pressure of the hold slightly or tryed to let it hold the position on its own the problem would reappear.

My AppleCare had expired and what I was offered by my local Apple store was apple's LCD repair program, where for $350 (shipping inc.) they ship the PB to the Apple repair center (whereever, or hat ever that is. In my case somewhere in Texas.) and perfom whatever repair or replacement is needed.

The PB was returned via FEDEX 36 hours, later functioning perfectly. I suspect all they did was replace the ribbon connector, or some sort of hinge service. They did not replace the LCD. I was told that if the LCD needed replacing, the fee would have covered that.

For me paying the $350 was worth it, as I did not have to deal with the details myself and I have a full year of Apple warranty with the repair, and I have my PB back and functioning.

Now it is a lifeboat and supplement to my new MBP.

--
Regards,
Savageduck