Cause of lines in TFT display?

Installed a new CCFL tube. Was very careful (so I thought) about R&R'ing the tube. You see the result on power-on.

Could this be a bad cable or connection? Or does it look like a damaged display?

Thanks.-- Al, the usual

Reply to
Usual Suspect

Either.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Simplest way to confirm? Any options other than to scope each line on that

*tiny* flex pc cable?

Thanks.

--
Al, the usual
Reply to

Scoping it won't tell you anything useful. The fact that the lines run the width of the screen tells you that the problem is with the horizontal drivers, which will be on one of the short edges of the panel. Hopefully, you've loosened one of the mylar film cable connectors (very easy to do while working on a panel), & reseating them will fix it.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

Reply to
Barry Watzman

Sadly probable.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Just a quick question. Did you take anti-static protection measures when working on the laptop ? The simplest way is only to wear cotton ( as I do ) and not have a carpet containing synthetic fibres but adding a grounded ESD mat and wrist strap is the approved way.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

working

have a

strap

Yeah. Assuming that he found all the connectors, zapped driver chips seem to be the likely cause.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

And there's no telling if they're on the display or the driver chip on the mobo. Could be either end.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

mobo.

No, they'll be the h-driver chips on the LCD panel for sure. The symptoms are classic.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

screwed.

mobo.

Fair enough. I defer to your experience.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Reply to
Barry Watzman

It amounts to the same thing, & both are equally unfixable.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

They are routinely repaired by places that refurbish large numbers of cell phones. They replace defective or damaged LCD, and reuse the cable.

Michael A. Terrell

It's a bit different for a full size screen. ;^)

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

It can be done, with the right equipment.

Michael A. Terrell

Yes, it can be done (rebonding the cables that go between the driver circuit board within an LCD panel to the actual LCD glass), but it the equipment required is relatively rare and exotic (a laptop with a full size screen is not the same as a cell phone with a few square inches of screen). The number of places that do it is small enough, and the cost is high enough, that as a PRACTICAL matter it is normally not a realistic option.

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Reply to
Barry Watzman

When I talked to a local company I was told they had to purchase used equipment that had been used for laptop sized displays. The techs I know that worked there told ne the same thing. So you are telling me they are all liars?

Michael A. Terrell

Arguing with Barry is like clapping with one hand...........

Reply to
GG WILLIKERS

You talked to ONE company. And how much do they charge for such a repair? A few years ago new laptop LCD panels were $300 to $450. Now many of them ... full size 15" panels for current model new laptops ... are $60 to $80, brand new. Rebonding of the cables that connect the LCD glass to the driver circuit boards is very rarely done. I didn't say never, but I will say low single digit percentages (of bad panels) ever get this "fix".

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Reply to
Barry Watzman