Capacitor Wizard

Just when I told everyone that Cap Wizard was gone forever it rose from the ashes again. Of course, I had never said that maybe it would not have come back.

I have spoken with Doug Jones several times in the past two weeks and he is getting the Cap Wiz back into production. We will have product available next week.

Of course, AnaTek also has the Savr circuit for the Cap Wiz also.

John The electronic repair center at

John Bachman

How much will these be ? I may want a second .

Reply to
Ken G.

$199 is mighty steep.

Especially when you can duplicate the functionality with a discarded SMPS for a laptop, a 1 ohm resistor, and a voltmeter.

That said, I do find an ESR meter INDISPENSABLE.. You'll discover that most electrolytics more than 20 years old have gone WAAY up in ESR.

Reply to
Ancient_Hacker

$199.00.

Order from

I will have them in stock by the end of this week.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

The first thing I did when I bought and built the DSE ESR Meter was to go through every electrolytic capacitor I had in stock. About 25% were either suspect, or bad, so they were pulled from the parts cabinets. They were leftovers from servicing early japanese electronics, garage door openers, and two way radios.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Perhaps a bit steep, but I bought mine a decade ago and it's way more than paid for itself even as a hobby servicer. There's a kit ESR meter out there, I think from Dick Smith which is a lot cheaper, never used it but I built their LOPT tester and have been pleased.

Reply to
James Sweet

(caution self serving ad follows)

Yes the Bob Parker/Silicon Chip/Dick Smith K-7214 ESR kit is still around. At least in my shop and

(friends of mine). Bought out the last 200 of them and I am selling them on my web site or eBay.

ebay - "esr meter kit"

We carry spare parts, ZPUs etc for the kits as well - please have your original invoice number handy if you order the ZPU though as we only sell these to proven customers of the kits (anyones valid invoice is fine).

(tech tip follows) As for input protection, I think a MOV (say 18 to 20VDC) in series with a pair of back-to-back 3A diodes would keep these Bob Parker/Dick Smith kits running for years and years and still let you be able to check your batteries ESR to see if they are OK or getting ready to fail.

John :-#)#

--
  (Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)  John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9      Call