ESR METERS

I like to buy cheap ESR Meter in UK. Any pointers please. Thanks.

Reply to
bigdaddy

Why has it got to be Cheap !! Even a very good one is not expensive.

kip

Reply to
kip

"kip" ha scritto nel messaggio news:newscache$vt36ei$nlk$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.niagara.com...

Buy it in Italy! Cheap but professional, in Kit at the most professional kit outlet here. Costs 21 euro plus shipping plus eventually the magazine at 4,10. I've been using it for long time to check caps on bloody tv. Just today I solved a problem on a Sony.Perfect!

Here details:

Believe me, very performing!

Fastvale

Reply to
Fastvale

That's a new one to me. :) ESR meters and schematics for them seem to be popping up like mushrooms these days. Which is good, because they do save a lot of time when repairing gear which is more than a couple of years old, or which runs hot internally. I just did a Google search for --> ESR meter site:.uk

Reply to
Bob Parker

Buy a goodone, it pays off. Suggest you check with Portugese design marketed by Vitor

Read the Worldwide comments on

"bigdaddy" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Bram Stolk

Without trying to steal Bob Parker's thunder, this EVB unit is manufactured under license to Bob Parker. The design is his and is Australian, not Portugese.

Compare

with the original

Ross Herbert

Of course the casing and finish of the EVB unit is different to Bob's design but the components etc are the same.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Thanks Ross. :) I collaborated closely with EVB in getting that version of the meter finalized. It does have more protection against charged caps than my original circuit (big fat diodes). The components are high quality, plus it uses the very bright red Kingbright displays I originally specified, whereas the DSE meter has cheaper moderate-brightness orange displays. I think the EVB meter's really good. :)

Regards, Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

I've seen posts on the ESR meters here and there and though I've thought a few times of getting one, haven't as yet. Who distributes the meters in this thread - of Mr. Parker or whomever? I seen him list EVB, I'm not familiar with them - at least not to my ever growing feeble mindedness and subsequent knowledge or lack thereof. What sort of price tag are they carrying. Also, I seen one made by Tenma, is it of any quality? I'd like to buy a good one when I do go to buy one. Any I should look at if I can't find "a" particular model/brand? Any I should definitely steer clear of? Any particular specs it should have to make it stand out over another model?

Thanks,

cl

Reply to
cl

this

subsequent

particular

it

John's Jukes in Vancouver, BC (on Main Street) distributes a good one. I've been in there a time or two.

NSM

One of the mentioned units is an adaptor for a multimeter. Interesting idea.

NSM

We did a comparison of all the ESR meters commonly available in the US some time ago. You can see it at

I know that the page is ugly. We are working on it.

John The Electronic Repair Center at

Professional electronic repair discussions at

John Bachman

Ugly or not, so long as it gives me the info I need, I can overlook the rest! At least you have one. I'm still stuck in the 19th century waiting to get one online. One of these days!!!!!! Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

cl

Reply to
cl

I notice that the ESR comparison page states that Anatek ceased to carry the Dick Smith kit

"Anatek experienced degradation in the components supplied with this meter and stopped carrying it in March 2005."

Without knowing who was making up the kits Anatek was stocking it is not possible to know where the fault lay with regard to the alleged "degradation in components". Bob Parker, the designer, specified high quality but readily available components even in the Mk1 version described in Electronics Australia, January 1996. Resistors were specified as 5% (which would have been carbon composition), except for the critical units which were 1% metal film. Capacitors were either MKT film, RB Electro's, monolithic X7R or ceramic NPO as the case required. Given the possibility that the Anatek kit supplier may have deviated from the original parts specification it might have been possible for the degradation to occur, but it would not have been the case if Bob Parker had any say in the matter. At the time of the Mk2 release in April 2004, over 12,000 Mk1 kits had been sold, most being made to customers outside Australia. Surely this is testament to a well designed and reliable unit. With the release of the Mk2 kits in April 2004 all resistors are now specified as 1% (which means all metal film) while all other components are still high quality units.

For those in the USA you can obtain the Mk2 kit from John Juke's

or Main Electronics

Ross Herbert

The quality problems we encountered were poor pc board tracks and holes making reliable assembly difficult. There were also missing parts. That was more than a year ago, so perhaps those problems have been solved.

At the same time DSE mislabeled a large shipment to us but charged our credit card anyway. We found out about the mislabling when one box out of the four arrived by some miracle. It had no city, state or zip code on it and the street address had no number, just the street name but somehow made it to an ajacent town whose name is the same as our street name. The postmaster looked AnaTek up in the phone directory and found us. That is how we saw the mislabling.

DSE insisted that we pay for the entire shipment and we refused and disputed the charge. The shipment costs were charged back to DSE who now refuse to ship with us as if all this were our fault.

Therefore, we can no longer offer the DSE items. Frankly, I miss handling Bob's designs as they are good, but I do not miss DSE.

John AnaTek Corporation

Reply to
John Bachman

I was always afraid that things might get this bad after Fiona left DSE, and unfortunately it got even worse than I imagined was possible. It's a pity that EVB aren't interested in producing and selling those ESR meters at a sensible price and in quantity. Oh well. Just a few thoughts I've been having....

Bob

John Bachman wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

You don't need to spend up big to measure capacitor ESR. You can do it for about 99 cents! Take your browser to

and see what I mean. :)

Bob

"cl" wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker

Maybe a DSE person is lurking about here. If so, maybe he will pick up the ball and run with it.

I sure hope so. Hate to lose a good product because of organizational stupitidy.

John

Reply to
John Bachman

(snip)

Most of us here in Australia don't miss DSE either. Once upon a time they were a valid part of the electronics scene. But that was a loooooong time ago.

Reply to
budgie

Years ago I wouldn't have said anything negative about DSE's service to overseas customers. But the ongoing sloppy careless couldn't-give-a-damn attitude of the people who replaced Fiona is so well known that I'm not going to defend them. That's the reason that I've got the EVB version of the ESR meter at the top of my ESR meter web page. If DSE loses a large chunk of their overseas sales of the kits, it's because they brought it on themselves. I just wish that EVB would make and sell that version of the meter in quantity at a sensible price. Thanks for your nice thoughts about the basic ESR meter design. Much appreciated. :)

Bob

John Bachman wrote:

Reply to
Bob Parker