Canon Powershot A75 goes psychedelic

After 4 years of bulletproof service, my Canon digital camera has gone goofy.

On July 21st it shot a few "purple shots":

On July 26th, it was normal again.

Then on Aug 29th, it went psychedelic and never came back:

(this is a photo of a guitar)

The day it happened, I took the camera out of a nice air-conditioned house and into the usual 95°Texas summer day so I'm wondering if condensation hosed the CCD or something. I find the fact that it "healed itself" once encouraging, but after several days there's no improvement.

Given that it's only a $200 camera, I'm guessing it wouldn't be worth it to send it to Canon's service facility. If it's really hosed, I figure I might as well open it up and see if there's anything obviously wrong inside.

Any ideas here as to what it might be?

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

Yep. See:

Canon will fix it for free.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Holy sh*t Jeff... how did you do that?

I think you got it... I think I owe ya big time.

[displaying thumbs up]

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

Dallas wrote: > > Yep. See: > >

Me too as we have one of the affected camcorders with that problem. Thanks!

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

Canon isn't the only camera with potentially defective CCD's. See:

CCD imagers in cameras made between 2002 thru 2004 by Sony, Canon, Fujifilm, Konica Minolta, Nikon, Ricoh, and Olympus are affected.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote

Woof! That's a big tear-down.. I think I'll just baby the camera and hope it never happens.

I called Canon... they're emailing me a label to send the camera back to them.

Again, Thanks!

Dallas

Reply to
Dallas

2-3 hours is typical depending on how you do it. You can spend 2.5 hours carefully disassembling it, making photos as you go along. It then takes only an additional 0.5 hrs to reassemble it. Or, you can rapidly tear it apart in 0.5 hours, and then waste 2.5 hrs trying to remember where things went. Either way, it's 3 hours.

Very good.

# 831-336-2558            jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

"Dallas" wrote in news:2oSdnRbFgrN21SHVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Dallas. Read this:

Your A75 is listed on this notice about the defective CCD imagers.

I found a nice A70 in a thrift shop with no picture. I stumbled upon this webpage looking for service on it.

I sent Canon and email admitting I was not the original owner. They emailed me back, immediately, with a USP shipping label to print out and put on the box, paying the shipping out. They emailed me twice more saying they had inspected the camera and yes it was the CCD and they would fix it for free. They fixed it and emailed me when it shipped a week later....repaired, cleaned internally, aligned, lenses recoated very nicely and all....at no charge.

Guess who I recommend for cameras, printers, and anything else Canon makes.....(c;

First class service from a First Class company. Someone must be there to sign for the camera's return on FEDEX Two Day Express!...all free.

Reply to
Larry
76 >

Same story for our Canon camcorder. It was back in 7 days with no charges at all. We currently have 2 Canon digitals and 2 Canon 35mm cameras besides the camcorder. I've been happy with all of them and will happily buy another Canon when the time comes.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46