Canon PowerShot G2 won't power up

I bought this camera new in '03; has worked flawlessly up till now. I hasn't been dropped, gotten wet, etc. I use it alot. Now, suddenly, it won't turn on. Swapped batteries, tried the charger connection-nothing. Any thoughts, known faults, etc before I tear it apart? JR

Reply to
JR North

You might be dealing with a problem covered by an extended warranty (also known as a major defect that Canon will fix): Go thee unto:

and dig through the warranty and service issues. I note that in the FAQ listing, one of the items is "Camera will not power on". Apparently this is a known issue. The FAQ says to call or write Canon for assistance, whatever that means. Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

If the fault is not a cold solder connection at one of the connectors inside, the service rep will change the complete PCB.

Most of these cameras use 2 or 3 PCB assemblies inside. As for the electronics, the PCB's are changed to fix them. In many of these cameras they also use flexible PCB assemblies. These assemblies are not designed to be servicable.

As for any mechanical problems, they change the complete mechanical parts assemblies. After changing any PCB's or mechanical parts, they do a calibration of the camera.

Considering, if the camera is out of warranty I doubt it will be cost worthy to service.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

I undestand that Canon has or had a refurbished camera warranty plan. Your dead camera went into the queue and you got back a "new" one repaired earlier with different S/N and, I think, balance of warranty. Of course, my PowerShot failed out of warranty! Jerry is right, none of this stuff can be repaired economically by the user or after market service shops. I gave my dead PowerShot to a staffer in my department who wanted to play with the optiocs. Cheers, Roger

Reply to
Engineer