Can I salvage my GB Instruments multimeter?

I was playing with the wonders of transformers in series and somehow fragged my multimeter (sure, the voltage was like 1000V, but at like .0000001A :( ) and anyways, now I get a steady 4.5V AC for my main wall (normally about 121V if my memory serves me) current and .05V DC for fully charged NiMH AA's (normally around 1.65V). Is it possible my multimeter's voltage sensor has been reprogrammed by the high voltage to a factor of about 26? Can this be remedied without trashing my precious multimeter?

GB Instruments GDT-11 multimeter. $20 at Wal-mart.

-Andrew

Reply to
methisdum

Unless you just want a challenge, buy a new one, it's not worth much effort for such a cheap meter.

I'd start by checking resistors in the input section, that's about all you have much hope of fixing.

Reply to
James Sweet

Good advice. The GDT-11 is even cheaper than USD20 here

Ross Herbert

Andy