Brown insulation paper and orange cellotape

In doing repair on a laptop, I would feel better about taping down a couple of flat nylon connectors with some of that thin orange cellotape that a few of the other connectors inside use.

Also, I remember thin sturdy brown paper used as insulating sheet in old radios in the sixties and need some of this for another repair.

My local electronics supplier was no help on either but mentioned blue fish paper as an alternate for the insulating.

I would like something sturdy thin and nonconductive such as the old school stuff and a decent tape that won't ooze or breakdown down like Scotch Magic tape. Regular packing tape varies in quality and I need something thin but strong.

Any ideas on these two?

Thanks a bunch--

Reply to
Mr. Newb

Mr. Newb:

1) As an alternative to "fish" paper you can go to your local automotive parts store and look at their gasket materials...... you can usually purchase a sheet of thin, hard paper gasket material that looks a lot like, and probably is the same stuff as the old electronic fish paper. 2) The tape you are talking about is probably mylar electrical tape, I have a roll of it in yellow. I wouldn't know where to get more, but when I run out I would probably cut a patch of duct tape to do the job. If you want to maintain the "original" appearance you can get colored vinyl tape used to repair plastic chair coverings, etc..... in your local hardware store.... available in a variety of colors.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

sofie

Best idea is self amalgamating tape. It's used for auto harnesses and has no adhesive.

--
*If we weren't meant to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's a great idea- I'll check that out...

After some more searching, I'm so much smarter now: it's Kapton tape (Du Pont) that I'm looking for and of course eleventh hour going into a holiday weekend -- anything better to use than duct or electrical tape?

The Kapton stuff is 1.5 mil thin, 1 mil or so of silicon adhesive and temp rated from below zero to +500 degrees.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Reply to
Mr. Newb

Reply to